Probable infection in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jalahu

Reaction score
Hello and sorry for asking this once again but I cant find the same problem.

I brewed my first batch some weeks ago from a brewkit. Everything looked ok untill yesterday. I only have a dozen of bottles left and everything was alright but yesterday I poured a bottle into a glass like I have been doing for last days without problems and... Surprise! I found some brown-green substance of about 2cm long floating on my beer. I tried a second bottle and again!! Of course I just took it out with a spoon and drank the beer, that tasted good like the previous bottles.
I think the best thing to do is drink ASAP the rest, but is it that bad? Can it be dangerous?

Thank you!

I found some brown-green substance of about 2cm long floating on my beer. I tried a second bottle and again!! Of course I just took it out with a spoon and drank the beer, that tasted good like the previous bottles.

Could it be yeast sediment from the bottle? I had something nasty floating in my beer once, turned out the yeast and trub had somehow come out of the bottle in a complete sheet. I just removed it and the beer tasted normal. Supposedly no dangerous things can grow in beer, so it should not be dangerous.

I've had a similar thing as well. My guess is - at least in my case - the bottle didn't get thoroughly cleaned, despite soaking in star San for 30 mins. I also scooped, frowned, and drank. :)

It could be yeast, are you being concious to leave the sediment in the bottle? Otherwise, if they were old bottles it might he that they didn't get cleaned well.

Are you pouring in the entire beer? If so, its probably just the trub more thickly settled now.

If you ever have fear of a bottle infection, check the neck of the bottle. If there is a solid white ring at the top of the beer level and its over-carbed, chances are its infected.

Yep, looks like compact sediment escaped from the bottom of the bottle as my friend put the bottles lying in the fridge. Strange that it's floating though. Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back