Probable fermentation time for 1.088 OG gravity beer with Mangrove Jacks M12 Kveik yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heinz

Reaction score
The short version of the question is in the headline.
I am going to make a chocolate porterish like beer and before pitching gravity read 1.088. Pitched 5g of Mangrove Jacks Kveik yeast without rehydrating on ~9 liters (2.3gallons) of wort at 21C (69.8F) room temperature. After 12 hours there was the high foam mark already present on the fermentation vessels walls and room full off smell coming from the fermentor.

I have tin foils instead of airlocks because I was afraid of a blowout and the fermenters seals are leaking (CO2) anyway. Also I can't take gravity readings all the time because there isn't that much wort and also I am away from the fermenting site.

Mangrove Jacks webpage says that M12 is of some Voss variety. Some sources say that Kveik yeasts do like high gravity worts and also ferment them real fast but is it for 1.06 high or 1.088 high too? Also the "Milk the funk" wiki states that many Kveik varieties actually prefer the lower end of temperature of the recommended spectrum.

I will take gravity reading when there is a probable bottling time though, but since I am not following any specific recipe then I don't know whether it should be 1.025 or 1.010 or what.

So, is it probably safe when I try bottling after 7 days?

Before bottling the beer, one wants to know that fermentation has ended (not stalled or 'infected').

This is generally done by taking a two gravity readings two or three days apart (e.g. one on day 12, one on day 14).

If the first gravity reading matches the recipe's estimated final gravity range and the second gravity reading is the same as the first, fermentation has ended.

... but since I am not following any specific recipe then I don't know whether it should be 1.025 or 1.010 or what.
If you wrote down the grain bill, recipe software can provide an estimated FG.

Brewersfriend allgrain-ogfg calculator gave me estimated FG: 1.020 at efficiency 57% which matched my OG of 1.088, at attenuation 77% (although MG M12 was listed to have 80% attenuation according to brewersfriend table). I guess I try and see after 7 days of fermentation when I can go to the fermentation site.

Last edited:
Back