Primng sugar wierd calc help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theashman661

Reaction score
Ok so I have a comp that I need to enter. To make things easier I want to bottle (6)12oz. bottles of stout. So basically 1/2gallon of beer. I want to prime these with DME or Table Sugar... The reason I'm not doing all of it is because I want let it sit longer, but im trying to meet this deadline for the contest.

So:

How much Table Sugar would I need I cups (I don't have a scale) and DME to prime a Porter (2.1 volumes of CO2) for 1/2gall on beer = 64oz.

This is what I came up with

Sugar: .3oz = 3/8 cups
DME: ?

Why don't you just prime and package the batch? There is nothing wrong with cellaring the rest in the bottle to condition, that's what I'd do;)

When is the comp? Priming with DME can take twice as long than sugar, sometimes even longer, it's a more complex sugar

Sent from the Commune

Its been fermenting for almost 3 weeks. I think I will start cold crashing this weekend, then bottle in a few days and bottle the whole 5 gallons. Thank you for the help. I will take your advise and just bottle condition for another few weeks till I'm ready to serve!!

Comp is on the 22nd. So If I prime now, it will give it around 2 weeks to carbonate.

Be sure to keep the bottles for comp above 70oF to ensure they are fully carbonated, good luck!

Sent from the Commune

Back