Priming with specialty malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
Is it possible to prime with specialty malts. I.E. Make just enough of a concentrated extraction to carbonate?

I doubt it. They contain only small amounts of fermentable sugars if at all.

Last edited:
I would also say no. Why, out of curiosity, do you want to do so? If it's just to get the flavor, that would be accomplished by adding them during the mash (or steep, if you're brewing with extract).

I would also say no. Why, out of curiosity, do you want to do so? If it's just to get the flavor, that would be accomplished by adding them during the mash (or steep, if you're brewing with extract).

I'm having trouble getting the balance of flavors that I want in a spiced beer, so I thought it might work yo adjust color and residual sweetness to some extent, kind of like dry hopping. I did a small experiment, by running steam from an espresso machine through the specialty malt to extract the flavors, then added back to about a liter. I'll see hat happens.

I'm having trouble getting the balance of flavors that I want in a spiced beer, so I thought it might work yo adjust color and residual sweetness to some extent, kind of like dry hopping. I did a small experiment, by running steam from an espresso machine through the specialty malt to extract the flavors, then added back to about a liter. I'll see hat happens.

Very interesting and clever. Let us know how that turns out.

As for adjusting residual sweetness in a more general way, there are a few tried and true options. The first that comes to mind is adding lactose along with your priming sugar, which will add unfermentable sugars. I think maltodextrine works the same way, although I've never used it myself.

Very interesting and clever. Let us know how that turns out.

As for adjusting residual sweetness in a more general way, there are a few tried and true options. The first that comes to mind is adding lactose along with your priming sugar, which will add unfermentable sugars. I think maltodextrine works the same way, although I've never used it myself.

The taste worked out pretty well, but flat. Thanks for the tip on lactose.

Back