Priming with light DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr. wiggles

Reaction score
I am making a American PA next week and I have read that priming with Light DME will give it a creamier head and bring out a more malt flavor. Has anyone ever done this, and have you noticed a big difference? I know it will take a little longer to carbonate my beer, but how much longer exactly, I do not know.

I know that Bridgeport uses malt and a little yeast to carb their bottles. Not sure how they do it though (ie. adding a liquid mixture or just dry...).

I would just use 1.5 cups of light DME instead of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

Also, just to let you guys know this is a PM recipe.

I use extra light DME to prime. If you use BeerSmith, it will tell you how much DME or dextrose to use when priming.

I just used extra light DME to prime a batch a couple days ago for the first time. Prior to this, I have always used corn sugar. I boiled and dissolved 1 1/4 cups of xlight DME into 2 cups of water. As I learned, even tho your dealing with very small amounts...boil overs still happen. Let it cool...drop it in the bottling bucket...siphon beer on top..and gently stir w/ auto-siphon.

It does take a little longer, but not too much. Maybe an extra week.

I've primed with corn sugar, and with DME, and I've not noticed a bit of difference in the finished beer. I wouldn't say you'd get finer bubbles with one vs. the other. The only reason I'd use DME now is if I was out of corn sugar, or wanted to stick strictly to the Reinhotsgebot.

Back