Priming with krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docvee

Reaction score
When priming bottle conditioned ales (50+ batches), I've always used corn sugar or DME with no problems. I've done some steam beers in the past with lager yeasts at cellar temp this way too, but I'm currently frementing an all grain czech pilsner in a themostat controlled chest freezer at real lager temp. I am interested in bottle conditioning my lager by priming with a wort solution at high krausen. None of the dozen brewing books I have describes in detail the method for "priming with krausen," not even Noonan's new brewing lager beer. On various websites I've found reference to an article by WL pengelly that has theoretical calculations for priming with high krausen wort; I have the abstract but not the full article. If anyone has first hand experience or documentation for this process, I'd be greatful if you'd be willing to share your wisdom. Thanks!

Kraeusen always seems like nasty stuff to me. Why would you want to prime with it?

Oh, lest I forget.... Welcome to the forum!

Back