priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
How much priming sugar should I use for ~2 gal of cider?

Also, if I could use something I have on hand (light brown, granulated, or confectioners) instead of going to LHBS, that would be very helpful.

Any thoughts?

2 gallons of cider, if you fallow the directions on the back of my priming sugar cudes packages it two cubes for one 22oz bottle. One cube is equal to one teaspoon of sugar so two tea spoons per 22 oz... i would sugest three if you want a stronger carbonation. the direct math would be that in two gallons there are 256oz of brew... 256/22 = Tea spoons per 22, multiply by 2 for number of tea spoons total = 23.27 Tea spoons, there are 48 tea spoons in a cup so divid 23.27/48. This equals .49 cups (roughly half a cup) of priming sugar for a carbination of two gallons by package directions... You can add 3 tea spoons per 22 and that would require .73 cups of sugar (just short of 3/4 of a cup). This last sum is for a more strongly carbonated cider, how much i am unsure, havent tried it.
Note: this has been proven false, it seems that this is far too much and my directions are not ment to be translated into bulk calculations, but simply that the drops are ment to be dropped into the bottle prior to filling and dissolved during the bottleing process.

My priming sugar cubes are simple compressed granulated table sugar, bought them at the local Home brew shop and they work just fine. So simply put it in the granulated sugar. If you want to use brown sugar add slightly more (say 5-10% more) because brown sugar is sugar cut with molasses and that will drop the fermentablity of the sugar slightly because molasses is only about half fermentable. That should do it, good luck.

cheers

not sure... i will tell you that honey definatly does, i am not sure about brown sugar... i never noticed any, but that might because im not looking for it... if your worried about it then use the granulated sugar, if you not worried about it give it a try and if your interested in it do half of your bottles with one and the other half with the other and compare

Cheers

A little bit of residual sweetness would be fine / preferred. I think I'll try about 2/3 cup light brown sugar, boiled in 1 cup water. Thanks for the help.

(shurggs) i rechecked my math based on the directions on the box... I am not sure it will go boom but if it does please do not get hurt. one ounce per gallon sounds small.

i decided to look it up, according to this book i found on the internet and a few other resources (The Home Brewers Answer Book) this will produce between 3 and 3.5 volumes which is considered on the quite high side of carbonation but most bottles can handle this carbonation level. My first math estimate was more correct because it will produce between 2.25 and 2.5 volumes which is standard the author says for most beers and ciders. For a comparison, Weizen beers can be as high as 5 volumes and Champagne is often between 5.5 and 6.5 Volumes... you may only want these to sit for a few days and then refigerate them to prevent explosion and slow carbination... Just glad you did not put in 3/4 of a cup. Right now your border line, then you would have bottle bombs

Cheers

Whoa, glad I rechecked the thread. I'll be bottling in a couple hours. I'll back it down to 1/2 cup unpacked.

Back