Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
So I am without a HBS in the area and im out of priming sugar....2 questions.

1 - I know priming sugar is corn sugar, where can I buy this commercially without a LHBS?

2 - If theres no corn sugar, is there an acceptable substitute (I saw turbinado in the store) besides carb tabs (which I also just ran out of)?

Just use table sugar. You will need to use a little bit less than you would corn sugar; maybe 5% less sugar than you would corn. I use cane sugar on every batch. I still have corn sugar left over from kit purchases from a year ago that I haven't used for anything.

Bulk food stores sometimes carry corn sugar / dextrose. I usually buy at the Bulk Barn. I have seen it a grocery store too. Turbinado sugar can also be used but adds some flavour - actually tried a side by side comparison when bottling an oatmeal stout. Maybe more noticeable in other styles?

I wouldn't use corn syrup personally. Dark corn syrup in particular is going to add flavors that you may not want. Frankly, I wouldn't even know how much to add. I suppose I could figure it out if I looked at the packaging.

1 cup DME disolved and boiled in several cups of water.......I have been using this instead of sugar for quite some time.

How about maple syrup? It's listed in Palmer's book as being acceptable for priming.

Maple syrup is definitely going to add some flavor to your beer. The other issue with syrup is that you have to know the fermentable sugar content to get the right carbonation level, which is a bit tricky sometimes.

When using table sugar, do you need to boil it first? Or can you just dissolve it and go.

Back