Priming Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverhill85

Reaction score
I am a beginning homebrewer and am in the second fermentation process of a beer kit called "Winterfest Ale." When I racked the beer from the primary fermenter, I was careful not to syphon too close to the dead yeast on the bottom of the primary fermenter. To get to the point, my glass carboy of the 23 liter size and it is not completely full. It is about 3 inches shy of full. My question is this...the priming sugar that came with the kit is supposed to be mixed with a cup of boiling water but I'm a little concerned that there may be too much sugar because I don't have a full carboy. I don't want to have to deal with a mad wife if bottles are going to start exploding. Any ideas? I will be ready to bottle (according to the directions) about April 20th.

Assuming you have pretty close to 5 gallons, you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, they're a little overcarbonated, but they aren't going to explode unless you really go crazy with the priming sugar.

Be sure to check the gravity with a hydrometer on the 20th and don't bottle it blind - no matter what the directions say, if it's not at or very close to the predicted FG then wait another week. You've got more of a chance of making bottle bombs with an incomplete fermentation than you do with a little too much priming sugar.

How big is the carboy 5g or 6.5 Either way you'll be fine. BETTER then the guy that used a 1 POUND and not 1 CUP. LOL

It's all good!

Back