priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokipynes

Reaction score
I have a batch of stout that was ready to bottle and added the priming sugar when a family emergency came up. I had to drop everything and by the time we got home I had to just put the beer back into a carboy for the night. Then work got too hectic for several days and the beer is in midcarbonation from the looks and is very active.

My thoughts are to let it just sit until the priming is gone and do over, I would value any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

:confused:

Doug

There is a possibility though that letting the beer sit in the bottling bucket for several hours uncovered my have openned you up to oxidation from too much contact with air....if you had the presence of mind to cover the bottling bucket with something though you might have built up a cushion of co2 to protect it...You won't really know until you've gone through the whole bottling process and let the beer condition..

Hope your family emergency is taken care of...

be careful if you plan on re-priming though...you may open yourself up to bottle bombs...

I think your plan is the right plan. I'd probaly let it sit a couple off weeks because that should be long enough for the yeast to take care of most of the priming sugar. This way you won't have bottle bombs from too much priming sugar.

Thanks for the input. I reprimed and bottled lasy night. I went light on the corn sugar with 3 oz to make it safer. The night of the emergency I did have the presence of mind to cover the bottling bucket. A sample on bottling was nice and has promise. The recipe was off the top of my head and it tastes more like a Porter so I have decided it is a robust Porter. Two weeks will tell.

Doug

Back