Priming big bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callback79

Reaction score
Hi,

I know the ratio of sugar per ml of beer is not the same when bottling regular bottles (330-400ml) and 5 gal batch in keg. I heard we should use something like half the sugar per ml of beer when kegging.

I have some 1.5 litre Grolsch bottles, I'd like to know if I have to use the regular priming calculations for bottling when using this kind of bottles or something between regular bottling and kegging calculations due the size of the bottles.

Thanks.

Just to be sure I'm understanding it right, does it means that the idea of "use half the amount of sugar if you keg it" is just wrong ?

So Bulk Priming in a bottling bucket and then bottling a 5 gal batch OR priming a 5 gal keg should use the same amount of sugar ? Everything I've read so far was a different story but I've no experience on this.

Thanks.

Just to be sure I'm understanding it right, does it means that the idea of "use half the amount of sugar if you keg it" is just wrong ?

So Bulk Priming in a bottling bucket and then bottling a 5 gal batch OR priming a 5 gal keg should use the same amount of sugar ? Everything I've read so far was a different story but I've no experience on this.

Thanks.

Kegging and bottling are two different things. You need less sugar in a keg, because you're still pushing the beer with co2.

It has nothing to do with what the requirements for bottling are.

Back