Priming Apfelwein and bottle carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonedog

Reaction score
All-

Sorry if this is has been asked before, but I haven't made Apfelwein since a year ago last spring and I have lost my notes...

So, I am making 2.5 gallons of Apfelwein. Plain old pasteurized stuff with maybe about 1/2-3/4# corn sugar added to add a bit o'kick and the tried and true Red Star Montrachet yeast.

I bottle carbonate. So, after a month of rhino farts, I add priming sugar to a clean carboy, rack to this carboy to make sure the priming sugar is good and mixed...then bottle...let sit for a week and then another week in the fridge....

I'm looking for a middling carb...not champagne!

So...I lost my notes on the amount of priming sugar I need to add to the racking carboy!

Help!?

I think the regular priming calculators will work fine for this. Last time I did a sparkling Apfelwine I carbed it heavily like Sparkling Wine (I think I went 3 volumes, maybe more), so it would have the mouthfeel of Champagne. It worked.

Oh...I don't know how to use those calculators....

Also, are the amounts you are given in weight or volume?

Back