primary to secondary relationship/plastic carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raelynjane

Reaction score
Hey there!

I have a stupid noob question. I am getting ready to try my hand at my first batch (milk stout) and I am just a little confused about my set up. I bought the premium kit from rebelbrewer and it came with a primary ferm. bucket and a carboy. the bucket is routed of course for the airlock, but doesnt have a spigot. Am I supposed to ferment for a week or so in the bucket and then siphon to the carboy? Do I bottle from the carboy with the siphon? :confused:

help is much appreciated. Cheers! :mug:

Normally you would use a bottling bucket with a spigot, to which you attach a short length of tubing and a bottling wand. It will be kind of a pain (and messy) to bottle with a siphon. Your best bet might be to drill the bucket and add a spigot, or pick up a separate bottling bucket.

here is everything it came with...

6.5 gallon Primary Fermenter with drilled and grommeted lid (doubles as a bottling bucket when your batch is done) << like I said tho, no spigot
5 gallon Better bottle secondary fermenter
#10 drilled stopper for Better Bottle
3 piece Air-Lock (x2)
24" Racking Cane
4 feet of 3/8" transfer tubing
Deluxe springless Fermtech Bottle Filler << do I siphon with this from the bottling bucket, does that mean I transfer two times or should I just leave it in the primary until it's time to bottle?
Double Lever Emily bottle capper
144 Rebel Black Bottle Caps
Tubing Thumb Clamp
Floating Thermometer
Hydrometer and Test Jar
18" Stir Spoon
18" Paddle
bottle Brush
Jet Bottle Washer
Sink Adapter for Bottle Washer
Airlock Brush
Carboy Brush for Better Bottle
Beer Thief (for taking samples)
Re-usable Nylon Hop Boiling Bag
Handy Racking Clip (holds cane in place when transfering)
1 lb jar of PBW Cleanser
8oz bottle of Star San Sanitizer
Getting Started in Brewing Book
"How to Brew" Book by John Palmer

I suspect you're meant to primary in the bucket, rack to carboy for secondary, rack back to bucket with priming sugar, and attach bottling wand to siphon and bottle from the bucket. It would be a lot easier, though, if you added a spigot to the bucket. But give it a shot! You can always tweak the process after your first batch.

alrighty. I'll give it a whirl without the spigot for now, and will probably end up adding one for my next batch. thank you so much! :ban:

Latest posts

Back