Primary fermentation too short?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
Hi,

My beer is a festabrew weat which I added t-58 yeast and 16oz golden candy syrup.

Initial density was 1050 and after 36 hours, no more activity in the primary. The density was 1014 so I poored it in secondary...

The beer is cloudy but really active, bubbling etc...

Was it ok to transfert the beer so early?

Thanks,

MA

Well, if it's still fermenting, you'll likely be ok. But doing this can also cause it to stall when taking the fermenting beer of the yeast cake. But since it appears to be still fermenting, it'll at least fill the head space with Co2 to protect the beer. It's usually a good idea to be at FG before racking anywhere, however.

Its not good to "pour" it into anything once fermentation has started. THis will oxidize the beer a pretty good amount. You need a siphon to transfer beer but you are really better off not doing a secondary. Especially as a beginner

Initial density was 1050 and after 36 hours, no more activity in the primary. The density was 1014 so I poored it in secondary...

IMHO secondaries have gone the way of the 32k modem, VHS tapes, etc... Unless you're conditioning a Lager or adding fruit to your beer it is better to let the beer sit on the yeast for at least a few days after it has hit final gravity.

From 1.050 to 1.014 in 2 days seems like a perfectly normal fermentation process. Depending on your recipe you should see that go down a little more.

You should leave it in the primary for a least a week

Hi,

The beer is cloudy but really active, bubbling etc...

Was it ok to transfert the beer so early?

Pouring is a bad idea anytime after fermentation has begun. This will oxygenate the beer. Not a good taste.

It was a bad idea to do anything to the beer so early on in the fermentation process.

It is still fermenting (that's why it's so cloudy)

Unfortunately if you did pour the beer it will suffer. Only way to know how much will be to taste it in 4-5 weeks once it's done and fully carbonated.

Its not good to "pour" it into anything once fermentation has started. THis will oxidize the beer a pretty good amount. You need a siphon to transfer beer but you are really better off not doing a secondary. Especially as a beginner

I used a Siphon ;-):rockin:

From 1.050 to 1.014 in 2 days seems like a perfectly normal fermentation process. Depending on your recipe you should see that go down a little more.

You should leave it in the primary for a least a week

Thanks for the clear info :)

Pouring is a bad idea anytime after fermentation has begun. This will oxygenate the beer. Not a good taste.

It was a bad idea to do anything to the beer so early on in the fermentation process.

It is still fermenting (that's why it's so cloudy)

Unfortunately if you did pour the beer it will suffer. Only way to know how much will be to taste it in 4-5 weeks once it's done and fully carbonated.

Thanks, So I'll try my next batch without the plastic 5 gallon, straight in the 5 gallon glass bottle. and let it stand for at least 10 days at 20C before botteling. I'll use the plastic 5 gallon only for the dextrose addition before botteling.

FIY I used a siphon, fortunatly, and let it flow down the glass, without any bubbles, smoothly on the edge of the bottle, to the bottom.

Thanks for all the info guys.

MA

Thanks, So I'll try my next batch without the plastic 5 gallon, straight in the 5 gallon glass bottle. and let it stand for at least 10 days at 20C before botteling. I'll use the plastic 5 gallon only for the dextrose addition before botteling.

FIY I used a siphon, fortunatly, and let it flow down the glass, without any bubbles, smoothly on the edge of the bottle, to the bottom.

Thanks for all the info guys.

MA

That's good that you used a syphon and that you didn't pour. It is however very likely that your method will still result in oxygenation. Just position the tubing at the base of the fermentor next time if you feel the need to use a secondary.

If it were me I would (and do) just ferment in the primary vessel at about 17C (beer temp) for most ales. (20c is OK for beer temperature but not ambient temperature). When it comes time to bottle (forget arbitrary set time frames for this and follow visual and /or data clues to tell you fermentation is complete ) rack the beer to the bottling bucket and bottle.

I would not ferment a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. There is no room for the krausen (foam formed during fermentation). You will lose beer and possibly create a big mess.

That's good that you used a syphon and that you didn't pour. It is however very likely that your method will still result in oxygenation. Just position the tubing at the base of the fermentor next time if you feel the need to use a secondary.

If it were me I would (and do) just ferment in the primary vessel at about 17C (beer temp) for most ales. (20c is OK for beer temperature but not ambient temperature). When it comes time to bottle (forget arbitrary set time frames for this and follow visual and /or data clues to tell you fermentation is complete ) rack the beer to the bottling bucket and bottle.

I would not ferment a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy. There is no room for the krausen (foam formed during fermentation). You will lose beer and possibly create a big mess.

Ok, Good info, so you would ferment the whole process in a plastic container?

thanks,

MA

Ok, Good info, so you would ferment the whole process in a plastic container?

thanks,

MA

yes. Then rack it to a bottling bucket when it's done and you are bottling. If you don't have as second bucket just get another one and a plastic spigot. They are dirt cheap.

Here is a good thread on bottling. Worth a read I reckon if you're new to this type of thing. It's all too easy to screw up your beer anytime your moving it to a different vessel.

Hope it turns out well for you and isn't too badly oxygenated. No worries, with each brew we refine our process till it becomes second nature.

yes. Then rack it to a bottling bucket when it's done and you are bottling. If you don't have as second bucket just get another one and a plastic spigot. They are dirt cheap.

Here is a good thread on bottling. Worth a read I reckon if you're new to this type of thing. It's all too easy to screw up your beer anytime your moving it to a different vessel.

Hope it turns out well for you and isn't too badly oxygenated. No worries, with each brew we refine our process till it becomes second nature.

Nice, thanks.

Strangely, the beer still cloudy and caramel milky color... Hop it will turn clearer in 2 weeks :)

Thanks All

Back