Primary fermentation in a 5 gal carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_N

Reaction score
I am about 30 minutes into my mash with a pale ale.

I thought I was going to be able to rack the beer that is in my 6 gal carboy to a 5 gal. Turns out, its not ready, so the 6 gal carboy will not be available.

I have two 5 gal carboys. One is empty, and the other has beer that is ready to be kegged.

I have no lids to use a bucket.

I have FermcapS, but I have never used it. And I have a blowoff tube that fits on the 6 gal, might fit on the 5 gal.

What should I do? I was thinking I would just use the empty 5 gal carboy with FermcapS and maybe the blowoff. The one I am brewing now will not be racked during secondary, it will go straight to the keg.

I usually put about 5.5 gal in the 6 gal carboy. I do a batch sparge. Should I target a lower boil volume then since I have less space in the fermenter?

I am not too concerned about throwing off my OG.

Using dry yeast.

That's all I can think of that you might need to know to make a recommendation. I appreciate any advice.

Agreed. Even if you top this thing off and use fermcap you may still have a pretty wicked eruption on your hands.

Not big. Shooting for OG 1.053. The beer is somewhat of an easy, house type ale for me and my friends. I reduced the boil volume. I'm just thinking, worst case I won't come out with as much beer in the keg as I usually do. No big deal. Thanks for the replies.

Use a blow off tube anu should be fine. I've used a 5 gal carboy for my belgian white a few times without a mess. OG usually around 1.050 and 5 gal of brew in it.

Back