Primary Bucket Lid Sucking In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djgibson202

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a farmhouse ale I purchased from boomchugalug that calls for transfer to a secondary upon completion of fermentation. After reading several comments on here about primary vs secondary fermentation, I have decided to keep the brew in the primary until ready to bottle. It has been just over a week since I put it in the bucket and it now appears that the lid is sucking in quite a bit. Any recommendations on what I should do? Thanks and CHEERS from Japan!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431348470.512240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am currently brewing a farmhouse ale I purchased from boomchugalug that calls for transfer to a secondary upon completion of fermentation. After reading several comments on here about primary vs secondary fermentation, I have decided to keep the brew in the primary until ready to bottle. It has been just over a week since I put it in the bucket and it now appears that the lid is sucking in quite a bit. Any recommendations on what I should do? Thanks and CHEERS from Japan!View attachment 277338

Not sure what type of bubble lock you're using, but it is only allowing internal positive pressure to escape. Assuming the external temperature has been constant, then the self heating of the yeast activity would have created a positive internal pressure of CO2 and now that the yeast have finished it has cooled and has now created a negative internal pressure. Depending on your OG and yeast used, then you are probably okay to open, verify FG and keg or bottle the beer.

To know for sure we would need more info: Style of beer, Maybe the bubble lock type, OG, and mashing details, etc.

I am currently brewing a farmhouse ale I purchased from boomchugalug that calls for transfer to a secondary upon completion of fermentation. After reading several comments on here about primary vs secondary fermentation, I have decided to keep the brew in the primary until ready to bottle. It has been just over a week since I put it in the bucket and it now appears that the lid is sucking in quite a bit. Any recommendations on what I should do? Thanks and CHEERS from Japan!View attachment 277338

Your fermentation has slowed, so the temp has lowered causing the contraction. You need to keep the temp up to stop this from happening. You always want a steady fermentation temp for first ~72 hrs then start raising the temp until it finishes.

My primary fermentations tend to create a partial vacuum at some point after initial fermentation is done. When fermentation slows down, this can happen with 3-piece airlocks. I just pop the cap & lift the center part to equalize the pressure. But only if I know it's not quite at FG yet. Then the incoming o2 will be absorbed by the Co2 inside.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Style is Biere de Garde with an OG of 1.075. Been able to maintain temp 70-72. I went ahead and pulled apart the 3 piece airlock to alleviate some of the suction and then put it back on. Going to let it set another week or so and then bottle it up. Thanks again to all for the quick response. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431352451.287819.jpg

It's actually a good thing when this happens, as the alternative would be that oxygen is getting into your fermenter via the airlock. That's why I like to use the DryTap airlock by Better Bottle (NAYYY) - it let's positive pressure out, and holds negative pressure perfectly. Thus, no oxidation!

Back