Primaries and Secondaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just started playing around with home brewing and I had a question regarding primary and secondary fermentation steps. The main reason I am posting the question is because I've seen a few posts now that mention keeping beers only in primary. I currently rack to secondary myself, but I'm curious as to why others do or do not rack to secondary.

In my case, I do my primary in a pail, let it ferment a few days, then carefully siphon the beer into a carboy. The main reason I am doing it this way is really because that is what was mentioned to do on the kits I'm using, but doesn't really say why. I've looked into reasons why people do this and it seems to be as varied as Christian denominations. The common thread I tend to see is that someone racks to secondary and their beer tastes good, then someone keeps it in primary and their beer tastes good.

I have read of issues when doing primary in a carboy where the krausen ends up spilling out into the airlock (or a water container), in which case, I do see the value of primary in a large pail. I would imagine that some just simply keep their beer in the pail and let it ferment in there for weeks/months.

Is there really any reasoning to secondary fermentation, or is it just a great reason to keep the pail empty to start fermenting another batch right away?

you can do it either way, but the main reasons against a secondary are:

1) it's an essentially unnecessary step that risks exposure to infection/oxidation
2) it's better to leave the beer with the yeast at LEAST until the gravity is stable, longer is better to allow clean up of yeast metabolism

if you need to dry hop or add something to the beer, secondaries are fine, but really, they're not needed for the average beer. it tends to turn out better if you just leave it in the primary for a few weeks (or more) and then go right to the bottling bucket or keg.

It used to be considered important to rack the beer off the yeast quickly to avoid autolysis. i.e., the yeast decomposing and rotting under the beer. In just the past couple of years we've found that the health, purity and cleanliness of the yeasts now available to us have reduced the liklihood of autolysis to the point that it seems almost like an old wive's tale. Moreover, we've found that leaving the beer on the yeast for an extra week or two (or three) actually improves the beer as the yeast cleans up certain off-flavors. The secondary fermenter still has a use for dry hopping, clearing before bottling, racking onto fruit, etc.

or is it just a great reason to keep the pail empty to start fermenting another batch right away?

That's why I secondary. Only on brewdays if (when) I am out of buckets. I transfer to secondary while cooling the wort, and then I can use the used yeast for the new brew if need be. My brew kit came with a 5 gallon carboy. I figured I might as well use the damn thing for something other than the occasional small batch, cider, or collecting coins.

the first time i tried leaving the beer in the primary for 3 weeks, i ended up making the clearest and best tasting beer i have ever made. so now i leave every beer in the primary 3 weeks. it really does work!

I'm curious, why don't you feel that the million threads on here that already discussing this topic is enough to answer your questions? Especially the 2 other ones happening right now on this forum??? Didn't you notice these other thread titles in this very section of the forum right now?

These are going on right now.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/risks-1-month-primary-no-secondary-202806/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-long-too-long-primary-201014/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/how-long-too-longer-fermenter-201852/?highlight=jamil

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/how-long-do-you-let-sit-202452/?highlight=jamil

Rather that re-invent the wheel why don't you read this thread, it is pretty much the most up to date info on the topic of secondarying or not. And probably every question you have about it has been already answered in it.

In detail.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/s...amil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/?highlight=jamil

I've written a ton on this topic on here, including in this thread, and I know i have answered your questions in there already.

Sorry, but you will ultimately have to make a choice, BUT there is already plenty of in formation on here to give you a clue, but ultimately it IS going to be up to you...:mug:

Sorry, but you will ultimately have to make a choice, BUT there is already plenty of in formation on here to give you a clue, but ultimately it IS going to be up to you...

make the right decision young jedi. you are the chosen one...

:ban:

Revvy, I've already read some of those threads, not all, and figured to frame my question a little more open ended than some of the other questions. Helps me to understand things a bit better. Didn't mean to clutter up the forums if that is an issue around here.

I don't have any specific problem I'm trying to solve, or a specific dilemma I'm trying to resolve. I'm just doing some open ended studying on the matter and didn't see that there was a thread that addressed that at the time I posed the question.

Back