• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Prickly Pear Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prickly pear fruit are coming in nice this year and are really tasty. I've contacted those that have indicated interests in the past.
Full Medium Flat Rate Box shipped for $27.00 - appro. 7 - 9 lbs
Full Large Flat Rate Box shipped for $35.00 - approx 11 - 13 lbs
Let me know if you're interested in a trade. I need muscadines and DME.
Thanks,
GTG

Read it in the chapter on fruit beers in the book Amercian Sour Beers. I'll try and dig that out tonight after work and see if I can elaborate. Something about the wax like compounds that exist in the skins of cactus flesh or something can by some organisms be processed into methanol. I don't know which organisms though, so if you're brewing clean vs sour beer might be different. I'll try to follow up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've got that book too and haven't gotten that far yet. I'll check into it. I burn the outside of all of mine first and the skins do get really shiny. Thanks for the heads up.
GTG

Read it in the chapter on fruit beers in the book Amercian Sour Beers. I'll try and dig that out tonight after work and see if I can elaborate. Something about the wax like compounds that exist in the skins of cactus flesh or something can by some organisms be processed into methanol. I don't know which organisms though, so if you're brewing clean vs sour beer might be different. I'll try to follow up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Nice...
Central Tx here. I have only done extract brews so far, but this sounds interesting. I may pick a few pounds and throw them in the freezer until I know my way around a bit better.

Prickly pear fruit are coming in nice this year and are really tasty. I've contacted those that have indicated interests in the past.
Full Medium Flat Rate Box shipped for $27.00 - appro. 7 - 9 lbs
Full Large Flat Rate Box shipped for $35.00 - approx 11 - 13 lbs
Thanks,
GTG

I know its late in the year but I just finished off some Prickly pear wine that was just AWESOME and I must have more. Since I cannot find the original brewer in Missouri I am forced to try on my own. Here is the catch......I am in Alaska. With that in mind I might be able to come up with some frozen blue berries and or frozen raspberries for trade. Freshly picked and frozen till later use. I have a lot of friends that love to make jams and jellies so I am sure I can come up with something for ya.

Let me know.

thanks

Looks like I can still get some prickly pears, what have you got to trade?
GTG

I know its late in the year but I just finished off some Prickly pear wine that was just AWESOME and I must have more. Since I cannot find the original brewer in Missouri I am forced to try on my own. Here is the catch......I am in Alaska. With that in mind I might be able to come up with some frozen blue berries and or frozen raspberries for trade. Freshly picked and frozen till later use. I have a lot of friends that love to make jams and jellies so I am sure I can come up with something for ya.

Let me know.

thanks

So I'm tracking multiple cactus patches again this year. If anyone is interested in some prickly pear fruit this year let me know. I think I will have a few different varieties to offer depending upon how they taste. It will be a few months before they are really ready and I will update as they mature.
Thanks,
GTG

I will need to check, my father in laws best friend is a bee keeper. My stepdad just got into it. I figure he will be producing by the time the fruits are ready. Any certain type your looking for?

Kudzu honey would always be great but I wouldn't count on it.
I'd be in for some muscadines if you had access.
GTG

I will need to check, my father in laws best friend is a bee keeper. My stepdad just got into it. I figure he will be producing by the time the fruits are ready. Any certain type your looking for?

Kudzu honey would always be great but I wouldn't count on it.
I'd be in for some muscadines if you had access.
GTG

Kudzu is all over the place where my step dad lives, but I could not guarantee. I am pretty sure I can get my hands on some muscadines.

Hi Todd, I again would love to get some more Prickly Pear. Let me know when the are ready. Michael

I would be interested too. My family owns acres of apples here in NC from Red Delicious, Rome, and pink ladies are the biggest crop. My buddy also has bees and sells local honey I could get.

I'm interested in these as well - I would love to sample some prickly pear fruit and use them in some brews.

:mug:

I just checked with my mom, we had 10-15 vines of Muscadine on our family land, and she said that they had not produced the last few years. So that is out, unless I can find another spot. I can however get Persimmons.

I love Pink Lady apples, would you be interested in sending some out this way? Let me know price.

Edit: the orchard that I get my persimmons from apparently has Muscadine. Game on.

I am interested but don't really have anything to trade. Pickle pear goes great in a fruit mead.

Prickly pears are ripe and ready. I've contacted those that have indicated interests in the past via PM.
I will be gathering a ton of them this coming Sunday and Monday, August 2nd and 3rd and shipping Tuesday.
A USPS Full Medium Flat Rate Box shipped for $28.00 - approximately 11+lbs
A USPS Full Large Flat Rate Box shipped for $36.00 - approximately 17+ lbs
Thanks,
GTG

Fruit is being shipped USPS Priority tomorrow AM.
Thanks for those that were interested and involved.
Now I need to get the spines out of my hands and arms and then go get some for me and start all over again.
I am currently drinking a prickly pear cyser fermented with TYB's Melange from last year's fruit.
Enjoy y'all and let me know what you make.
GTG

Prickly pears are getting ready to be harvested.
I've had some members conact me that have purchased in the past.

I will be gathering a ton of them the first week of August.

A USPS Full Medium Flat Rate Box shipped for $28.00 - approximately 11+lbs
A USPS Full Large Flat Rate Box shipped for $36.00 - approximately 17+ lbs.

If anyone is interested, PM me.
Thanks,
GTG

Back