Pressurize or Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Have an Irish Red which was in primary for a week, I racked it to a corny as a temp, cleaned out the trub and then but it back in the carboy for more time. It has been in there for 2 weeks. Wondering if this is the time to move it to the corny? Also when I initially put it in the corny, do I need to pressurize the tank with CO2 right away, or is that in the last week prior to tapping?

I'm my opinion I would of left the Irish red in the primary the entire time then bottled after a few weeks. Only because every time you move from one vessel to another you risk some oxidation. I would defiantly invest in a second Carboy so you can eliminate the extra 2 racks (in and out of corny) when doing secondaries.

Did you make sure you reached a stable gravity before moving it to the secondary? If you did a few weeks for an Irish Red is fine, it should be about as clear as it will get.

YES! Once you rack to the Corny make sure you hit it with CO2 right away. It not only blankets the top with gas for protection, it also creates a tight seal on the corny lid.

I'm my opinion I would of left the Irish red in the primary the entire time then bottled after a few weeks. Only because every time you move from one vessel to another you risk some oxidation. I would defiantly invest in a second Carboy so you can eliminate the extra 2 racks (in and out of corny) when doing secondaries.

Did you make sure you reached a stable gravity before moving it to the secondary? If you did a few weeks for an Irish Red is fine, it should be about as clear as it will get.

YES! Once you rack to the Corny make sure you hit it with CO2 right away. It not only blankets the top with gas for protection, it also creates a tight seal on the corny lid.

Appreciate the info on the racking, I am learning as I proceed. It had hit FG before I moved it.

I will move it to the corny once I have the CO2 gear.

Yes I think it would be time to move it to the cornie and start to carb it. If after you taste it it needs some more time, just set it aside and let it age some.

I also would suggest just doing a 3 week primary, then check gravity and move to the cornie one time.

Latest posts

Back