Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewed a Weihenstaphaner clone recipe on Saturday. Got some crazy fermenation going on right now to the point that I had to make a makeshift blowoff tube out of my siphoning tube. Pitched the yeast at 65F and have been using a swamp cooler to keep it at 65-68 (avoid the banana blast) Is it ok to periodically remove the airlock in order to release the pressure in the carboy? Basically just pull the airlock out and put it back in within a few seconds...

No need to pull it out to relieve pressure. Just make sure the airlock isn't clogged. Or even leave the blow off tube on it in a jug of water. It'll equalize itself.

Just trying to avoid having my stopper blow out the top...I pulled it out for 5 seconds to check if it was clogged since the fermentaion foam made it impossible to see, it hissed and released all the pressure...hopefully this won't affect my fermentation, but worth it so my wife won't kill me if the stopper pops off...

Yes, you can safely remove the airlock and stopper for a few seconds to release the pressure. The escaping CO2 will prevent any nasties from falling into your beer. Just remember to do this every half hour or so, all through the night and day, until the active fermentation subsides an a few days.

Or, set up a blowoff tube, and relax. Your choice.

Back