Pressure release?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerwildered

Finding my way to beer heaven
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I just exchanged my CO2 bottle, and hooked up the regulator. As I turn the knob and pressurize the regulator, the pressure release valve starts letting all of my gas out.

I’m wondering if there’s something I’m missing?

I’ve done this a dozen times, and I’ve never had the regulator “blow off” like this. Is it faulty? Is something else happening?

Thanks for the help.

Could the cylinder have been overfilled (too much pressure)? Do you have access to another CO2 cylinder to try your reg on?

A picture of the regulator might help.
Are you referring to a manual prv with a pull ring?

Or is it in the back of the regulator with no pull ring?

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

It’s the valve on the side of the regulator.

When I hold the valve closed, the tank pressure reads 600psi, at room temp.

You could try removing the relief valve and cleaning it.

You shouldn't have to hold it closed if it is functioning properly.

I'm not familiar with that particular regulator and whether or not rebuild kits or replacement parts are available.

Does this still occur if you adjust the low side pressure to 0?

Ugh. Figured it was probably user error, and it was. My low side was set all the way up - and the relief valve was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. Once I lowered the pressure on the low side, everything worked out fine.

As you already figured out this is the low-pressure relief valve, to keep you from bursting a line or worse a keg.
The high-pressure relief valve will be mounted on the cylinder itself before the shut-off valve as it must provide protection against overpressure at all times, even when the valve is closed.

Latest posts

Back