Pressure newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K3vin24

Reaction score
So overall I’m kinda a novice home brewer... anyways here’s a question about pressurized fermentation and Wyeast 2633.

I wanted to brew a quick-ish Oktoberfest and did some research that suggested pressure fermentation could get me there. I looked up a recipe that sounded good and didn’t think too much about the yeast choice.

I think the brew day went well on Oct 12th. The OG came out at 1.064, target was 1.060. Cooled and pitched at 66 degrees. Fast forward to today and it’s only dropped to 1.042 (using a tilt, in the fermzilla which is set to 5 ish PSI with a spunding valve).

My understanding of pressurized fermentation is generally it’s faster? Maybe I’m just impatient, but curious if I underpitched? Or it’s too warm (also thought pressure kinda negated the keeping it cooler for this yeast?).
Anyways again it’s currently at 1.042 at 64 degrees.

Sooooo.... should I warm it, add more yeast (since the Wyeast 2633s top recommended OG is 1.060), raise/lower the pressure/temp, or just be patient and let it work? Seems to be only dropping 0.002-0.003 per day.

The pressure at 5 psi is minimal and should not have much impact either way. The temperature of 64-66 is warm for a lager yeast, and if anything, that should speed things up. Is it possible that your Tilt is misbehaving? If you read about them, they do seem notorious for that, getting held up in krausen and such, producing erroneous readings.

Under-pitching would normally produce a slow start (longer lag phase), but once going, it's not likely that the yeast would stall out, especially at a warm temperature. I would not warm it, and would not pitch more yeast as long as the gravity is dropping steadily - albeit slowly.

Last edited:
To my understanding, to prevent off flavors from running lagers hot with pressure, you need to up the psi to above 12

Back