Pressure Levels After Force Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_FL

Reaction score
I tried to search this without much luck. But I am still curious:

I've actually been brewing a while, but never paid close attention to carbing. I just set everything using the set and forget method and hit 2.2 volumes of CO2. For some styles, this is way too low, but I have never cared before. Now that my beers are turning out pretty darn good, I would like to focus on the subtle issues, like carbonation volume. My question is, if I force carb a beer higher, to say 3 or 4 volumes, will it remain at three or four volumes even when I reduce the pressure back to serving pressures (8-10psi on my setup to not foam)? Or will the extra CO2 leak out of solution leaving me with my standard 2.2 after some time? If it will leak out what time scale are we talking about? I keep my beer at 38 deg. F, so conveniently my serving pressure is good to hit 2.2 volumes. I usually have four beers on tap all split out using T junctions (one tank and regulator). Which is the main reason I ask. I use two tanks, one to carbonate a fifth beer waiting, and one to served the other four. So after force carbing, when I hook up my serving tank all the beers will share the same pressure.

I can't speak to all your questions, but if your kegs are all on the same regulator line, then they will all go to the same co2 volume.

Thanks Bobby,

From my basic physics classes I feared that must be the case. I suppose someday getting multiple regulators is the only solution. Even one way check valves would only very temporarily solve it.

Thanks!
John

Back