Pressure fermented Kolsch lager time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djangotet

Reaction score
I am about to make my first ever pressure fermented Kolsch this weekend. I plan to have no pressure for the first 24 hours. After 24 hours I am going to let it sit at 60 for about 7 days then rest and crash. My question is, when pressure fermenting does that have any effect on the lager time? Should I still lager for a minimum of 20 days? Should I keep pressure on my beer during that time? Thank you!

My question is, when pressure fermenting does that have any effect on the lager time?

Higher than atmospheric pressure slows down fermentation. So your lagering phase would start later than normal, uness you mitigate the slow-down with a higher fermentation temperature (or a truckload of yeast).

Should I still lager for a minimum of 20 days?

IMO you should lager until the beer is brilliantly clear (or as clear as you want it to be). Any prescription for "X" number of days is just a rule of thumb.

Should I keep pressure on my beer during that time?

At that point, I see no reason to lose pressure (and thus lose CO2). The yeast, proteins, etc. will settle out under higher pressure just like they would at atmospheric pressure.

After 24 hours I am going to let it sit at 60 for about 7 days then rest and crash.
60 PSI, or 60F?? If that's the temp, what PSI? You shouldn't need anything more than 12 PSI. 60F is closer to ferment temp, typically around 60-65F for Kölsch without pressure with ale yeast for 3 weeks or more. Kölsch yeast doesn't like to flocculate, so try to wait for it to clear as much as it will at room temp before tossing it into the ol' ice box. Then let it sit at 32F for at least a month. Test it from time to time to see how it progesses. Also using a floating diptube will help you pour from the clearest beer on top. And finally, as @VikeMan said, the pressure will only affect your ferment, not the lagering.

Back