Pressure fermentation with a floating hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pils Brosnan

Reaction score
Hi guys & gals

Does anyone have experience with pressurized fermentation while using a Tilt/Float/iSpindle floating hydrometer?

To be frank, I am worried about beer ending up into the hydrometer as the pressure is significantly larger within the fermentation chamber compared to the hydrometer enclosure.

Thanks!

I've not had any issue. Not even when I've carbonated in conical (~12 psi). Don't recall what the rated pressure tolerance of the tilts are. Keep in mind, I'm using the pro model. They do have a blog link in their FAQ page for someone using the standard with pressure fermentation (calls out 12psi).

You could contact them to find out if there's a max pressure tolerance. IMO it's something that they should provide. Especially with how some people seem to be fermenting under higher pressure levels.

I've done several pressure fermentations with my Tilts with no issues. Some at 5 psi, some at 12 psi, and some at 28 psi. Most of theses have been with the V1 Tilt where there's a screw on cap on both ends. Also I've had these Tilts running for several years and have never changed the gaskets on those caps either. I've made two battery swaps, but have been more worried about disturbing a good working seal than the original seal wearing out.

Of course, now I just guaranteed they will start leaking now...

I haven’t seen any issues with leaks from pressure fermentation (though I have had a leak with a rev 1 tilt that ruined it). But for whatever reason they seem to lose signal more often under pressure. I can only assume they sink further into the wort.

I recently had an infection issue I traced back to an old seal so be careful there.

I've put mine under pressure up to around 20psi with no leakage issues. However, the gravity readings do tend to skew low the higher the pressure builds.

Latest posts

Back