Pressure ferment and blow off- Sanke keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Is it normal for krausen to come out of PRV? What volume can I safely fill my 7.75gal sanke's?

What volume did you put into your fermenter? I imagine you should be able to ferment 5.5 gal without issue. To be accurate, 1 gallon weighs 8.3 pounds, so fill to 45 pounds as measured on a scale.
If push comes to shove, use a blow off tube...

It was between 5.5gal and 6. How do you incorporate a blow off with a pressure relief valve? Im getting krausen in my pressure relief valve.

I use ferm cap drops to cut down on the blow off. I have put 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 gallon sanke as well as 13.5 gallons in a half barrel without the need for a blow off.

Despite using ferm cap I have still had some blow off through the PRV a few times. The PRV that I use is plastic and can't be taken apart for cleaning. I had to replace it once after I got beer in it and it got clogged. I built a blow off catcher from a water filter housing and a piece of tube I cut off of a sanke spear.

View attachment 1499693824909.jpg

View attachment 1499693851052.jpg

View attachment 1499693872012.jpg

View attachment 1499693897282.jpg

Back