Pressure Cooker Short Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgaddy44

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pressure cooker and have been looking into some new recipes to put it to use.

The wife and I are really into food and cooking, watching way too many cooking shows. We get a lot of ideas on tv and I do a lot of random searches on different recipes, to pass time. I've seen so many people with glowing reviews on short ribs, but I don't recall ever have trying them, myself.

I've found a few short rib recipes for the pressure cooker, and wondering if anyone has some good tips.

Hoping to go to the meat market in the next couple days, so I can cook up some new treats with the few days off I have over the holiday.

There was just an article by Mark Bittman (in the NY Times) about pressure cookers, and he does have a short rib recipe. I've never made them in a pressure cooker but I bet you can translate his method to work with any sauce/flavorings you want. His recipes are usually pretty solid IME, he's the one that does the "how to cook everything" books.

:mug:

General article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/22/magazine/apply-a-little-pressure.html

Short ribs in ginger plum sauce:
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1015846/short-ribs-in-gingered-plum-sauce.html

I like to smoke short ribs for a couple of hours and then braise them in a cast iron pot for a few more hours.. This is how I make goulash. The pressure cooker should decrease the braise time quite a bit, I've never used one personally.

:mug:

I can't speak to the pressure cooker, but I'm making a carbonade flamande with short ribs and oud bruin today. I imagine the pressure would shorten the braise time.

One of my favorite recipes is for Korean-style braised short ribs. You basically boil them in a mixture of soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, garlic, scallion, red pepper, etc. for a couple hours, then rub them with dark sesame oil and put them in a 500 degree oven for a bit to crisp them up. Serve over Jasmine rice and pour a healthy dose of the braising liquid over everything. Man I love short ribs.

Back