Press and sealing sanitized bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
Anyone sanitize their bottles and then press and seal them after they take them out of dish water if they can't bottle that day?

No - remember sanitize is not the same thing as sterilize. When you sanitize something, you're only killing off most of the nasties, making sure that the good things in your beer have the best chance to out compete the bad things. If you sanitize something, seal it up, and then put it away, you're risking that any tiny populations of nasties (bacteria, wild yeast, whatever) may get the chance to build back up a sizeable colony before you unseal that bottle (or whatever) and use it.

Sanitize as close to the time you plan to use as possible!

You can sterilize the bottles covered with a square of aluminum foil in the oven with dry heat at 320F for two hours allowing the bottles to slowly heat up and cool down to avoid stressing the glass. They will stay sterile as long as you are careful and don't disturb the foil.

I have experienced the bottles having a strange smell inside after the above procedure so I recommend rinsing the bottles well, allowing to dry on a bottle tree, and storing in a box before another quick rinse and sanitizing with star-san right before re-filling.

How bout just cleaning them & rinsing before drying on a bottle tree before storage? Then sanitize with Starsan right before filling?? You can't do it ahead of time...you can smell the difference doing it ahead of time. You can't cheat on some things. Get a bottle tree & vinator,& sanitizing will take no time at all & 45 bottles will take up only 2 square feet of space.

Agree on the bottle tree and vinator. I just switched to that this year and previously was doing a rinse in bleach water followed by a run on the sanitation cycle in the dishwasher. It worked, but took so long. Vinator and starsan makes it a job I can do in the evening when the kid goes down and I'm not up to all hours of the evening (10:30?!?!?)

Latest posts

Back