preservatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwiz

Reaction score
I live in the Greater KC area, we have 3 cider mills I know about within 20 miles. However, every single one of them say "100% pure apple cider, 1/10 of 1% Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate to maintain freshness"

Is this enough preservatives to keep me from making hard cider?

I might go there and speak with somebody. They might be more interested if you could get a few friends and get a group buy going as well.

Their goal is the opposite of yours with the preservatives. That being said, with a huge cell count of healthy yeast, who knows how effective the preservatives would be. You could always try doing a small 1gal batch.

I would think they could omit the preservatives if you pick up the juice on site. Unless there's some sort of law that requires them to put it in. Here in GA, no apple house will sell juice that is unpasteurized. (but most don't add preservatives.

I agree with JeffT, a healthy yeast starter or hardy wine yeast would probably overcome that small amount of preservatives.

I've never heard of anybody overcoming sodium benzoate, but I have heard of limited success with overcoming sorbate at times. Benzoate is the kiss of death for fermentation as far as I know.

Check out Louisburg Cider Mill. Not too far away, and they use no preservatives.

I have a gallon of their juice in my refrigerator now. Says: "100% pure apple cider, 1/10 of 1% Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate to maintain freshness"

Back