Prepping for Winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanaHomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello! I'm in Ohio, and brew in the front yard of my townhome, this is my first winter as a homebrewer, and with snow coming down as we speak, I am not sure I will be back out to brew until spring.

I do BiAB and have several grain bags, fermenters and a 10 gal kettle with a ball valve. I also use a propane burner, which is stored on my covered porch all year.

Anything that I need to do to prep my equipment for a long winter with no use?

Just to be safe, I’d suggest bringing any chillers inside the house. Getting all the water out of an immersion chiller isn’t always easy. I see copper tubing bursting pretty quick.

Don't store a brew bag unless you are 250% sure its dry. Been there, done that. Apparently the straps must have been damp inside or something but the whole thing had mildew spots and was unsaveable.

Sorry, the only thing outside is the burner, everything else is stored on a shelf in my office, any tips on getting water out of my immersion chiller? It's stored inside, but I can't imagine that it would be good to leave water in it for a few months

Sorry, the only thing outside is the burner, everything else is stored on a shelf in my office, any tips on getting water out of my immersion chiller? It's stored inside, but I can't imagine that it would be good to leave water in it for a few months
You can blow it out with a compressor, bicycle pump, or possibly a tire inflator.

Yes, the water inside may get yucky, moldy. Make sure on next use not to let it mix into your wort or beer, such as from leaky hose connections.

Don't use Starsan in it, it's acidic and will attack the copper over time.

the only thing outside is the burner,
I'd stick a plastic (garbage) bag over it to keep dirt, dust, and insects (spiders) out of it. Less cleanup and maintenance, unplugging the orifice and nozzles, next Spring!

Put some properly marked stickers on the bag, so it doesn't get inadvertently thrown out with the trash some day...

Back