Prefered method for serving kegged beer without kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairecunn83

Reaction score
I'm wanting to take a keg of homebrew to a reunion in a couple months, and am wondering what's the best route for cooling and serving kegged beer without a kegerator? Should I plan to submerge it in one of those plastic "beverage buckets" filled with ice water, connect to a CO2 tank, and use a picnic tap?

Or am I missing a more practical solution?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Noob

I am planning to serve a keg tomorrow at an event. For the last week, it has been in the refrigerator on the big CO2 tank and is fully carbed. I got a small CO2 charger that uses those little cartridges that I will connect to the gas-in post and a picnic tap for the beverage-out post. Safety Disclaimer: Connect the gas valve to the keg first, which depressurizes it. Then screw on the charger. Do not pull the charger trigger unless the picnic tap is open.

To keep the keg cool, I took my 10g Rubbermaid drink cooler mash tun, removed the false bottom, and will set the keg in there with ice. Hopefully it works and surely it will beat hauling the big tank, hoses, regulator, etc. around.

Slightly nicer than the unregulated charger is to get the paintball canister and adapter to use a real regulator. Not worth it for a one-time gig but if you plan to do it a few times a year...very handy.

Back