Preboil volume doesn't fit my pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmer

Reaction score
Hi there!

I did my last batch of extract lately and aiming to make all grain from now on. Since my biggest stainless cauldron has 12 or 13 liters capacity, I realised that my 5 gallon carboy wasn't fit for my situation, so I bought a 3 gallon on Kijiji. You may already see my problem here ;) The preboil volume must be higher than that. I red somewhere that it would be something like 4 gallons for a 3 gallons batch (I know there's a more precise way to evaluate this).

My question is : Is there a "workaround" for my situation or I'm just doomed and have to buy a 100-200$ 5 gallons pot? Can I just add water afterward ? I guess not.. Any magical tricks?

Thanks

Topping off with water isn't the norm, but it's possible. Efficiency will be lower since there will be less sparge water. If you decide on a larger pot, make sure your burner can handle it. And IMO a 5 gallon carboy should be ok for a 3 gallon batch. I use a 7.9 gallon bucket for 5 gallon batches.

I red on another blog that it would not necessary be a problem, but it would affect the efficiency.. I guess I'll have to read more before brewing this.

You can go aluminum for a cheaper alternative to stainless steel. I think I got a 4-mm thick, 10-gal aluminum pot for about $40. Keep in mind that the capacity is the "brimfull" capacity, and you need to leave room for expansion of the liquid and for potential boil-overs during the process. I normally hit a pre-boil volume of 6.5 to 7 gal in my 10-gal pot. That keeps the froth from going over the top.

Back