pre-recipe crit - fleur de 2112

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownrice

Reaction score
I'm sketching out a plan to build up a house supply of california common yeast. Starting with a BMC-ish "light lager" --> something smoked ---> doppel"bock"

i can't lager yet, but i have a room kept at 60*F so the yeast should be fine as long as internal temps don't go crazzy. correct me if i'm wrong, please!

1st batch:
possibly a traditional california common but i find them boring; this is for a BMC crowd tho.

now i'm thinking i'd rather make a Vienna SMaSH with about 10lb grain per 5 gallon batch to keep it light. for hops, i have a supply of Perle or Slovenian Styrian Goldings (10%AA). I also have Citra and Amarillo, but I was gonna use those in other recipes and don't want all of my beer to taste the same.

2nd batch:
smoked beer. i'm gonna sample both types of Schlenkerla (beechwood- and oak-smoked) to see which one the crowd prefers. i think my LHBS has mesquite smoked too. beechwood definitely tastes like ham, for better or worse. has anyone done a blend of wood-smoked malts?

i'm super interested in making a "cheater" version of Grodziskie with smoked barley and regular wheat malt. i don't like wheat beer that much, but it seems ideal for summer BBQs. and my brew-buddy is hardcore Polish so this'll make him happy.

3rd batch:
doppelbock. heavy on the munich. too early yet to think about a recipe. and without lagering, it isn't a true bock. i don't care, i just want something that will taste good. open to other suggestions too.

thanks fam, gimme a ring if you're in philly.

A vienna smash would be a great beer for a BMC crowd IMO. It will be very clean, crisp, but have a good malt backbone. Perle and styrian would be good choices for it

I liked oak smoked malts better. I've found ~30% is a sweet spot for smoked beers. Good assertive flavor without being ashtray like

Doppelbocks are great, but if you cant lager, maybe you should try somethign entirely different? A belgian saison or somethign would be a great addition to round out the lineup. You also wouldnt need to worry about temp control

edit: just realized oyu wanted to use 2112. I'd make an "IPL" with some of those citra and amarillo hops

The weyermann oak smoked wheat is available at my lhbs, you can probably get it, why make a cheater version of the grodziskie? The oak smoked wheat isnt as assertive or hammy, and its only a 1.030-1.040 beer, Ive made it several times and it has mass appeal, most people like it around here. Its not particularly harder than any other all grain batch. (as long as you remember the rice hulls)

2112 can be on the lower attenuation side in larger beers, if you are going to do a doppelbock, I wouldnt go too high in gravity. Like 1.070 ish is probably ok.

thanks for the replies.

i'm still wrapping my head around how yeast affects malty/hoppy character beyond attenuation/phenols/esters. maybe i'll just skip the 2112 entirely... i used it for a barleywine a while back (don't ask, it made sense at the time) and sure enough it's underattenuated. anyhow, i'm in that phase where i'm basically gonna use packets of S-04 and S-05 unless the yeast character is crucial.

basically this started because i wanted to make something for the BMC crowd and was thinking california common, but i'd rather do a vienna smash. i suppose i'll use perle instead of goldings cuz they're half the AA% and this is supposed to replace the american lite lager.

i definitely want to do the grodziskie, and i'll have a yeast cake of WLP400 belgian wit once i rack my belgian IPA... now i'm thinking i'll clean up that yeast cake and make two wheat beers, the grodziskie and a typical wheater.

i particularly dislike wheat beer but it's gonna be a hot summer, the timing is right, and i'm trying to get people hooked on my product.

A grodziskie traditionally doesnt use a wit yeast, it uses a neutral ale yeast like a alt or kolsch yeast. Hell s-04 would be closer than a wit yeast, or the cal common yeast even.

A vienna lager is close to a vienna smash in many cases, if its like 1.050 and you keep it under 30 ibu, it could work with the 2112 for the bmc crowd.

A grodziskie traditionally doesnt use a wit yeast, it uses a neutral ale yeast like a alt or kolsch yeast. Hell s-04 would be closer than a wit yeast, or the cal common yeast even.

A vienna lager is close to a vienna smash in many cases, if its like 1.050 and you keep it under 30 ibu, it could work with the 2112 for the bmc crowd.

ok, lets start over then.

(you can guess why i assumed a wit yeast would work in a wheat beer tho, ya?)

my "american light lager" will be a vienna smash
i want to make a grodziskie

would they both be best with S-05? i have an S-05 and an S-04

since they're both OG <1.050, could i split 1 rehydrated yeast packet between two 5 gal batches?

A neutral ale yeast will work for both. If you got s-05, that will do. Something like a kolsch yeast would be better for both, but its a small difference.

As for the grodziskie. (there are multiple versions, but this is supposedly close to the last commercial version made until 93.)

1.032-1.040
100% Oak smoked wheat malt. (you will need some rice hulls)

Mash at 154

~40 IBU
like an oz or so of finishing hops in the last 15min. traditionally Lublin which is like saaz. Use whatever you got that close-ish.

Used a proprietary yeast strain. Supposedly closest is a kolsch strain, a neutral ale strain will do. Ferment on the cool side.

Traditionally used finings so it was crystal clear. Carbed up to a high carbonation around 3 volumes.

Back