Pre chiller size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
So I currently use jamils recirculation IC setup which I really like, and now I would like to add a pre chiller/ice bath to the setup. How big should it be? I do 10gal batches with a 50' x 1/2" IC. I probably don't need a lot of copper for the pre chiller right? I live in CO where the ground water never gets too hot.

Follow up question... Has anyone ever tried to make a wort chiller wider? My chiller is designed for keggles I think but I use a megapot which is much wider. Can I just stretch it out or am I likely to kink it?
Thanks!

I would use 25 feet for a prechiller. Do not try to reshape your chiller, it won't work out well. IMHO, having a chiller smaller than the pot diameter allows you to move the chiller around, thereby contacting more wort and cooling faster rather than just letting it sit in the middle of the pot.

When I used a pre-chiller before it never worked out very well. What made the most improvement in my chilling times is pumping ice water through your chiller. So take the money you were going to spend on a pre-chiller and buy a cheap submersible pump and pump ice water through your chiller.

I would use 25 feet for a prechiller. Do not try to reshape your chiller, it won't work out well. IMHO, having a chiller smaller than the pot diameter allows you to move the chiller around, thereby contacting more wort and cooling faster rather than just letting it sit in the middle of the pot.

Moving the chiller certainly works, but I worry about hot side oxidation (I think I'm the only person who still believes it happens) which is why I recirculate to essentially have the same effect. That being said if my chiller might get damaged I'm not going to risk it.
When I used a pre-chiller before it never worked out very well. What made the most improvement in my chilling times is pumping ice water through your chiller. So take the money you were going to spend on a pre-chiller and buy a cheap submersible pump and pump ice water through your chiller.

I have done this before and I go through way to much ice to make that worth it. Ten gallon batches and 50ft of 1/2" exchange a lot of heat. The initial water I have coming from the chiller is scalding hot and melted a 20lbs bag of ice in 2 minutes. Then I just had hot water running through my chiller.
Keep the diameter of your prechiller as big as possible. Otherwise it restricts flow and does more harm than good.
I agree especially since my chiller is 1/2". I am wondering if 10ft of 1/2" would be enough. I'm really only trying to drop the water temp about 15 or 20 degrees f. Denver city water is usually pretty cold ... Snow melt you know? 10ft of 1/2" coiled up in a 5gal bucket of ice water?

I have done this before and I go through way to much ice to make that worth it. Ten gallon batches and 50ft of 1/2" exchange a lot of heat. The initial water I have coming from the chiller is scalding hot and melted a 20lbs bag of ice in 2 minutes. Then I just had hot water running through my chiller.

That is why you start with hose water once it gets down to about 120, then switch to ice and that will knock it down real quick. I had mine on quick disconnects where I could just disconnect the hose and connect the submersible pump.

-G

Back