Pre-Boil 6.25g, 1hr boil, post-boil 4.0g?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does that seem possible?

I guess this isn't specific to AG but I was doing an AG batch. I doubt that matters. The only thing I can think of is that the burner was too high. It is a 5psi regulator and it takes about 20-30 minutes to get 6g to a boil so I'm surprised I lost almost 2g in 1 hour.

Yikes that a big drop! Probably overshot OG a bit too! (could be a good thing)
You could probably back it off a bit on the next batch. You just need a nice roiling boil, doesnt have to be a volcano.

I actually got a sub-par efficiency (65%) but I hit the target OG pretty much right on. I will just have 1 less gallon than I'm supposed to! Oh well, it was my 2nd all grain (same recipe as the first) and I improved my effiency 10% so it's getting better. I only lost 1 gallon on the first batch and used the same settings for the burner. Just means I will have to brew again sooner!

One other idea - it was a windy day so maybe the wind blew away more vapor than normal?

Unless it took a drastically longer amount of time to reach a boil compared to your last batch, I'd be much more likely to guess you misread pre-boil volume.

To boil off 2 gallons, I've got the surface jumping enough that I'll get splashes over the edge (2+ inches above the surface) so boiling off 2.25 gallons accidentally sounds suspect.

What is the diameter of your boil kettle? The exposed surface area has an impact on the boil off rate.

i do 5gal batches in a keggle. today, i started with 6.75g pre-boil and ended up with ~5g post-boil (4.75 after CFC). i just topped it off with filtered water to get 5g, then added the .25g starter.

my problem was that i had the burner cranked up a little higher than i thought. i only lost ~1.5g last time.

I have a quite large boil kettle (16" in diameter, 50qt in volume) and with a 1 hour boil I loose between 1.8-2 gallons (that's with a just rolling boil). Also I have a 45000 btu turkey fryer burner and when I get a boil I turn it down just enough to keep it boiling.

I have to use quite a bit of sparge water (6.6 gallons for 10 lbs of grain and a 6 gallon batch).

So you have a surface area of: 143^2", whereas I have 200^2". Boil-off depends on quite a few different things, but I would say you may be boiling with too much power (of course you want to keep a rolling boil as well).

You did the exact same thing I did on my first batch!

I had the exact same problem as you on my first batch. I used about six gallons pre-boil and ended up with four gallons of wort .... and so became the "short stack IPA".

Since then I have just compensated accordingly and have my boil-off down to a science

Your boil off isn't that unusual. I have a 10 gallon megapot and use a turkey fryer burner. I have done 10-12 batches batches on it. I have always boiled of just over a gallon per 30 minutes boiling time. This is rain, shine, sleet, snow, 20 degrees, 70 degrees doesn't matter. Pretty much always consistent.

So if I am doing a 5.5 gallon batch with a 60 minute boil, I use 7.5 gallons pre-boil.

If I am shooting for a 5.5 gallon batch with a 90 minute boil, I use 8.5 gallons.

This works extremely well and provides great consistency with hitting that final volume.

Back