Practical uses for bad batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Richard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
1
Location
West Orange, NJ
What do you do with a batch of beer that went bad? Just tip it down the sink? I was wondering if it's worth spreading around the garden, or if my lawn could benefit from it.

Or perhaps I could donate it to the local homeless shelter....:cross:
 

cheezydemon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
1,917
Reaction score
15
Location
The "Ville"
*shiver* Do NOT cook with bad beer. Trust me. Smoker...ok MAYBE.

It is supposed to be good for loosening corroded bolts, killing slugs, and some other things I can't remember.
 
OP
R

Richard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
1
Location
West Orange, NJ
Soulive said:
How bad is it? Can you at least cook with it?
It's somewhat drinkable. A dog would probably drink it.;) I suppose it could be cooked with. It's not infected or anything, I just bottled before it had finished fermenting so it's over carbonated and tastes a bit crappy.
 

Evan!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
11,835
Reaction score
104
Location
Charlottesville, VA
cheezydemon said:
*shiver* Do NOT cook with bad beer. Trust me. Smoker...ok MAYBE.

It is supposed to be good for loosening corroded bolts, killing slugs, and some other things I can't remember.
depends on how bad. I've used infected batches in food before and it was grrrreat. The smoker is a great use---the last thing you'll notice is the touch of sourness from the beer.
 

Iordz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
955
Reaction score
7
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Whatever you do, don't think it can be blended and magically become a "lambic" or any other "sour" ale. It really bothers me when people try that.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,297
Reaction score
3,714
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
Do you composte?

A lot of gardners add a 6 of cheap beer in a sprayer to feed the composte pile.

Jerry Baker "America's Master Gardner" is a big advocate of it.

5 gallons would probably be good for a lawn. Google Jerry Baker and take a look at some of his concotions in gardening.
 
OP
R

Richard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
1
Location
West Orange, NJ
Hmmm...I'm thinking my lawn will get a boozing once the weather turns warmer...I don't compost, so the lawn could be the best use I have for it.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,297
Reaction score
3,714
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
Richard said:
Hmmm...I'm thinking my lawn will get a boozing once the weather turns warmer...I don't compost, so the lawn could be the best use I have for it.

He talks about making tonics that include beer and cola for the lawn as spart of the spring clean up once the ground thaws.

But if you're going to hold onto the beer that long, taste it before you commit it to the lawn...You may be surprised in a few months, the beer may end up tasting great. Sometimes you got to leave beers alone for months if not years before they hit their peak....Think Barley wines...

You may be surprised.
 
OP
R

Richard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
1
Location
West Orange, NJ
Revvy said:
He talks about making tonics that include beer and cola for the lawn as spart of the spring clean up once the ground thaws.

But if you're going to hold onto the beer that long, taste it before you commit it to the lawn...You may be surprised in a few months, the beer may end up tasting great. Sometimes you got to leave beers alone for months if not years before they hit their peak....Think Barley wines...

You may be surprised.

Nah, I don't think so. The bottles are all way over-carbed. They gush when I open them. I'm surprised none have exploded.
 

Joker

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
36
Location
Orygun
I have only had one brew so far that I didn't really care for the taste of, the pigs seemed to really like it though.
 

JavaBeans

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2007
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Location
Waltham, MA
I made a Chipotle Irish that was not good. Stuff gives me heartburn.
But I use it in stews and for steaming ribs in my oven (I know its a sin, but I don't have a smoker). Both benefit from the spicy beer.
 

BeerCanuck

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
473
Reaction score
2
Location
St Catharines
Richard said:
What do you do with a batch of beer that went bad? Just tip it down the sink? I was wondering if it's worth spreading around the garden, or if my lawn could benefit from it.

Or perhaps I could donate it to the local homeless shelter....:cross:
I would start by defining what you mean by bad beer batch....sound like its in bottles and carbonated..maybe a BMBF in reverse? :drunk:

Cheers
BeerCanuck
 

Bosh

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
227
Location
Seoul
Let it sit for a few months, it might be drinkable then.
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,297
Reaction score
3,714
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
JavaBeans said:
I made a Chipotle Irish that was not good. Stuff gives me heartburn.
But I use it in stews and for steaming ribs in my oven (I know its a sin, but I don't have a smoker). Both benefit from the spicy beer.
Oh that does sound good for cooking with... I'd love to have some. I use both beer and chipotles in my chilli. hmmm I wonder if it ever would be worth brewing up a small batch with leftover ingredients someday?
 
OP
R

Richard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
1
Location
West Orange, NJ
c.n.budz said:
You might want to carefully open and drain them before they do explode. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....
They've been sitting for several months already, so I think if they were going to explode they would have by now. I have them in my cooler anyway, so if they do explode it will be easy to clean up.
 
OP
R

Richard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
1
Location
West Orange, NJ
APendejo said:
You have dogs? Dogs like beer too.
AP
No dogs, just one cat. I doubt the cat would like it though. Plus he's probably a lightweight...I wouldn't want to give him a hangover.:drunk:
 
OP
R

Richard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
1
Location
West Orange, NJ
BeerCanuck said:
I would start by defining what you mean by bad beer batch....sound like its in bottles and carbonated..maybe a BMBF in reverse? :drunk:

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Yeah, something like that.:D

It's way over-carbonated, and has a sour taste - which I assume is from the over-carbonation.
 
Top