Potentially dumb STC1000 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warthaug

Reaction score
Having successfully built a few projects based on STC1000 controllers I've decided to try another. This one has nothing to do with brewing, but I think the collective here knows the answer to my question.

My question is simple - instead of passing 120V AC through the relays, I'd instead like to pass 12V-24V DC, at upto 1.5A. I assume that is safe, given the relays are meant for higher voltage/amperage (10A) than that, but I though I'd check with the people here before diving in. Yes, there are dedicated devices that do what I want, but they are pricey compared to an STC1000.

So is it safe/will it work - 12-24V DC through the STC relays (obviously 120V will be provided to the STC itself)?

Thanks!

Bryan

Shouldn't be a problem. The only issue that I could think of would be if the STC-1000 uses triacs to switch the AC, but I am pretty certain they switches are really relays with mechanical contacts that actually move.

I'm pretty sure the switches are relays, as there is an audible click when then unit turns on one of the switches.

Bryan

The mechanical relays used in these controllers are rated for 10A @ 277vac/28vdc

Not sure of the application you have in mind but there are also 12vdc and 24vdc versions available, which would save you the from having to provide 120vac. However they appear to be the single relay version that can be setup in a heat or cool mode but not control both at the same time, like the STC1000.

I am building a heated stage for a microscope. The power supply is providing electricity to thin-film heating pads. Turns out there is 120V version of the heating pads, so I may simply use those, thus bypassing the need to 12 or 24V all together. I do have safety concerns with those however, so I've not entirely given up on the 12 or 24V models of the heaters.

Bryan

Back