Potentially bad batch of Scottish Ale/amylase enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxpower612

Reaction score
First time poster
My friends and I tried to make a Scottish Ale from this recipe we found online.
http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_335.htm

We thought it would be cool to add about an ounce of flaked oats without realizing that it would provide unconverted starches into the kettle. After we had finished the boil, transferred it into the carboy and pitched the yeast last night, we tried a small amount of the cool wort and noticed it had an odd bitter, astringent, chemical flavor. Right away I realized we ruined the beer by adding the oats to my steeping grains without properly mashing them.

I was wondering if I could add a beta-amylase or alpha-amylase enzyme to my carboy today or tomorrow (depending on where we could find some as soon as possible) to break down those unwanted starches to save our beer.
Will it dry out the beer too much if we add about a tsp?

Thanks!

First time poster, and have made a few extract batches before and also posted this onto the beginner brewing forum.

We thought it would be cool to add about an ounce of flaked oats without realizing that it would provide unconverted starches into the kettle. After we had finished the boil, transferred it into the carboy and pitched the yeast last night, we tried a small amount of the cool wort and noticed it had an odd bitter, astringent, chemical flavor. Right away I realized we ruined the beer by adding the oats to my steeping grains without properly mashing them.

I was wondering if I could add a beta-amylase or alpha-amylase enzyme to my carboy today or tomorrow (depending on where we could find some as soon as possible) to break down those unwanted starches to save our beer.

Thanks!

No, don't do that! First, the chemical flavor isn't coming from the oats so don't be quick to fix a problem that may not exist. An ounce of flaked oats is nothing, and should be immaterial to your beer.

The "odd, bitter, chemical" flavor may be very hard to pin down as it could be something that came from the water, or from the boil pot, etc. But whatever it is- it's NOT the oats.

It could easily be the combination of ingredients, also. Peat malt is horribly nasty tasting stuff, and roasted barley is acrid tasting to be, like it's burnt. So, until fermentation occurs and these flavors meld perhaps it's just tasting the separate ingredients at this point!

First time poster, and have made a few extract batches before and also posted this onto the beginner brewing forum.

Thanks!

an once of flaked oats in you mash is not going to ruin your beer

might be a good idea to let it ferment then see if you want to add some beano

it is a bit early to judge your beer from a taste of your wort

all the best

S_M

I type way slow :)

No, don't do that! First, the chemical flavor isn't coming from the oats so don't be quick to fix a problem that may not exist. An ounce of flaked oats is nothing, and should be immaterial to your beer.

The "odd, bitter, chemical" flavor may be very hard to pin down as it could be something that came from the water, or from the boil pot, etc. But whatever it is- it's NOT the oats.

It could easily be the combination of ingredients, also. Peat malt is horribly nasty tasting stuff, and roasted barley is acrid tasting to be, like it's burnt. So, until fermentation occurs and these flavors meld perhaps it's just tasting the separate ingredients at this point!

Well we had made a stout extract before that came out the same way but ten times worse because we had used more flaked oats, and I'm asking my friend right now and he says that he mightve added 2oz. This time we had a water filter to sort of minimize all possibilities of it happening again. It wasn't really like a roasted bitterness, it was just kinda off putting. We kept thinking bleach flavor.

Well we had made a stout extract before that came out the same way but ten times worse because we had used more flaked oats, and I'm asking my friend right now and he says that he mightve added 2oz. This time we had a water filter to sort of minimize all possibilities of it happening again. It wasn't really like a roasted bitterness, it was just kinda off putting. We kept thinking bleach flavor.

"Bleach" flavor comes from chlorine or chloramines in the brewing water, not from a tiny bit of oats.

The flavor you're getting is NOT from the oats. It's definitely something else.

I'm going to borrow a line "set it and forget it" - Ronco

Let it ride and see after it has had time to ferment and mellow, it will be completely different...

I'm going to borrow a line "set it and forget it" - Ronco

Let it ride and see after it has had time to ferment and mellow, it will be completely different...

Alright I'll leave it for a week or so and see how it tastes

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I understand your anguish, but it's definitely not from the oats. Probably water related.

Before your next brew, do a search for Campden tablets. 1/4 tablet in 5 gallons of fresh (tap) water removes both chlorine and chloramine. I think no brewer can do without, unless they are 100% sure they have neither.

As everyone said, don't judge the beer before it's done.

I understand your anguish, but it's definitely not from the oats. Probably water related.

Before your next brew, do a search for Campden tablets. 1/4 tablet in 5 gallons of fresh (tap) water removes both chlorine and chloramine. I think no brewer can do without, unless they are 100% sure they have neither.

As everyone said, don't judge the beer before it's done.

I'll remember on the next brew to add a tablet and look at my results.

The only common factor in this brew and the failed extract stout with the bad flavor I made was the flaked oats and since then I had bought a water filter as well. I had also made a porter with an extensive grain bill for steeping and it came out really great from the start

I'll remember on the next brew to add a tablet and look at my results.

The only common factor in this brew and the failed extract stout with the bad flavor I made was the flaked oats and since then I had bought a water filter as well. I had also made a porter with an extensive grain bill for steeping and it came out really great from the start

1/4 tablet is plenty to treat 5 gallons of water, don't overdo it with a whole one. A water filter doesn't remove chlorine and chloramines very well.

Did you taste the oats by themselves? How about the grain, the water? As Yooper said, peated malt is quite nasty. I like the taste of roasted barley, but in moderation. Were the right amounts of ingredients used, not 2 pounds instead of 2 oz by mistake?

Maybe the grain was tainted, like soaked in bleach or worse? Or some bad contamination in your post boil equipment, like your chiller, or transfer hoses. What sanitizer do you use?

You aren't scorching your wort by any chance, do you? Liquid extract tends to sink to the bottom if not stirred and dissolved very well. I've heard it tastes like an ashtray.

Back