Potential stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberg1

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gal batch of an IPA about two weeks ago and I thought it was going well until I checked the SG today.
My OG was kinda bigger at 1.068( I was shooting for 1.054 and was way more efficient than I planned)
I split it into two carboys and pitched a fresh vial of WLP001 into one and repitched from a brown ale that I had bottled that morning into the other.
Fermented now for two weeks at about 64F.
SG as of today was 1.020 in the one with fresh yeast and 1.030 in the other.

I realize that I under pitched but I didn't plan on the OG to be that high so I didn't make a starter.

Question is...
would you guys pitch some more yeast into both of them?
Or ramp the temp up a few degrees and resuspend the yeast and see if it can just fix itself?
Or should I just say f-it, let it sit for two more weeks, blend the two batches together and keg it?

What temp is it at now? I'd first suggest trying to rouse the yeast at temps around 70f. If you see no improvement over a week, then repitch.

It's at 66 now. I put a space heater in with the carboys and I'm slowly bringing the temp up to around 70 to see what happens.

1.020 is still high for most IPAs, so blending my not be an option if they don't finish out more. I'd do what tervorc said, raise temp, rouse, wait, take another reading. Then report back.

:mug:

Back