Potassium Sorbate Disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infielders3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying my hand at making Brandon O's Graff found here

(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/)

Anyway, I went to the store and got my juice, got my grains, my DME, hops, yeast, the whole bit. Only to check on the Juice I bought to see that it contains Potassium Sorbate.

Will I be able to brew with it or will this junk keep my yeast from bubbling?
Oh, and I have a starter going so I need to do something.

Thanks for your help!

You may have an issue if you have four gallons of apple juice with sorbate for a five gallon batch. The only thing I can suggest if you already have the rest of the recipe going is to halve the apple juice, and have a weak braggot rather than a sweet, sweet, and non-alcoholic juice.

I could be wrong, but you are not diluting the sorbate enough to let the yeast do its job.

I just overcame some sorbate ridden cider, I managed to get it to ferment but it took awhile and according to the wine and cider guys just cuz it ferments doesn't mean it will taste good. Said I will probably have some off flavors.

IMHO return the juice or drink it and go buy the right kind, it's not worth the hassle or the risk.

Latest posts

Back