Pot advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbalough

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to a pot & burner so I can do full boil. 36qt stainless $75 or 42qt aluminum $65 ?

I was expecting something very different from the thread title. Hah.

I would go with the 42 qt personally, bigger plus cheaper is a winning combo. You have to be careful with aluminum since it's more reactive than stainless (if I recall correctly what I've heard from folks like Palmer who know far more about metallurgy than I ever will), but there's zero reason you can't brew with it.

10 gallons (40 quarts) or more depending....7.5 gallons = absolute minimum for 5 gallon batches, IMO. Stainless steel if possible..... Aluminum is OK if you create an oxidized layer by boiling water in it before brewing beer.

I bought a 80 qt aluminum pot and never used it.It just sort of has a lightweight cheap vibe about it.I ended up getting a Concord 80 Qt ss pot that I love and will last a lifetime.Do as you want but getting a bigger pot allows you to brew 10 gallon batches.Its literally the exact same brew day with twice the beer..no brainer.I got the one with the basket for BIAB.
Heres a BIGGER pot in stainless for the same money as the price you listed.
You can thank me later;) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...740507&usg=AFQjCNEX5vb0gjQhfxhMRULxiPxoSyUj5g

Mine is aluminum, 40 qt. payed 30 for it at webstaurantstore.com but then another 15 for the lid and 15 for shipping so it was $60 all together.I can say though that mine is heavy duty with a nice smooth finish, not rough like some aluminum pots I have had.
Boil a full pot of water for 1/2 hour and dump it before making brew in it. this will season it and give it a nice oxidized coat

a bigger pot allows you to brew 10 gallon batches.Its literally the exact same brew day with twice the beer..

What he said.
Concords are what i have in my electric system.
Far more reasonably priced than other name brands.

I bought a 10 gallon 40 quart bayou classic stainless kettle with false bottom as a mash tun and boil kettle. To do 5 gallon batches with... works just fine... however I wish I would have gone with their 16 gallon mashtun kettles from the start... I now have two 16 gallon bayou classics one with a false bottom, and one 10 gallon that I started with... the 10 gallon is my main boil kettle for 5 gallon batches but when I want to do a 10 gallon batch I can use one of the 16 gallon pots.

If I would have just started with the 16 gal. I would not have to shuffle my equipment around so much and It wouldn't look so funny with the runt on the side... Bigger is better because it gives you more options later. you never know what your next brew will be. maybe high gravity, maybe a larger batch....

Go to a local brewery and see if they have any broken kegs that you could buy. Cut the top off, install a valve at the bottom, and boil beer in it. Stainless steel 15.5 gallon pot for cheap.

I picked up a 50 quart aluminum pot and burner used for shrimp boils. Works perfectly and I have no issues with it.

Can't comment on the plant info.... For the boiling apparatus, I'm leaning to a 4mm thick 40 qt aluminum pot + separate lid, and a bayou classic Sp10 burner. Is that a decent start for close to $100 range? Started small with a 5gal igloo mash tun. Plan on being satisfied with 5 gal batch sparged batches and partial mash if I need to do a bigger beer....on a budget and still need a wort cooler

Back