Post your Single Greatest Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Arandir

Reaction score
No not your pretty good recipe. Not your "I brewed it once and liked it" recipe. Not even your "I won an award" recipe. Your greatest recipe.

That means you brewed it enough to dial it in, step by step, ounce by ounce, pour by pour. Something you brewed *at least* five times, and plan to brew *at least* five more soon. Something you perfected through sheer brilliance and craftsmanship.

This is your "when the hell are you brewing that again" beer. Your "friends line up to try the first pour" beer. Your "damn the keg kicked already" beer. Your "I don't even like beer and I'll drink the **** out of that" beer.

Your world-class, go-to, mind-blowingest brew.

Go!

Last edited:
I've made things I like as well as this, but this is the only thing that I think I'm done tweaking. Though maybe the hop varietal...

Lavender-Smoked Helles Eisbock (2.5 gallons pre-freeze)

4 lbs. lavender-smoked
2.5 lb. Vienna
2.5 lb. white wheat

7 g Magnum (10.6% AA) @ 60 min.
14 g Tettnang (3.3 % AA) @ 15 min.

Saflager W-34/70

OG 1.086/FG 1.025, followed by freeze concentration, removing ~1/3 volume as ice.

Screenshot_20230522-180532_Kindle.jpg

Screenshot_20230522-180534_Kindle.jpg

This recipe doesn't require any tweaks, it's perfect as is.

This is my version of the CYBI clone recipe for a Meantime Porter (the sticky thread at the top of this section of the forum).
IPAs are my favourite style but this turned out exactly like I was wanting first time around and have brewed it 3 times since.
An easy drinking flavourfull porter but with all the dark and smoked malts it does take about 6 weeks in the bottle to hit it's peak.
I haven't had any left after 3 months to says how it ages beyond that.
The only thing I really changed from the CYBI recipe was using WLP007 instead of Nottingham.
Next time I will use Fawcetts black malt, only because I don't have any Chateau anymore but that shouldn't make much difference.

1684840727910.png

View attachment 820685
View attachment 820686

This recipe doesn't require any tweaks, it's perfect as is.
I’m all about historical brews. My first Best of Show was a Pre-Prohibition Lager. I grew up watching my Dad drink Schlitz and Hamm’s while we watched Saturday baseball games on an old black and white Zenith.

I’m gonna’ brew your ‘tribute’ beer, which looks amazingly authentic. The only tweak I might consider would be going all-in on Pilsner for base malt and skipping the six row. I doubt I’d need the extra enzymes with today’s modern malts, and the step mash should build in enough body along with the fermentables. Looks Old School legit!

Back