Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely an infection but not really from a batch of beer. This is the 2nd runnings I kept and planned on brewing after an extremely long day brewing a barley wine. So I decided to brew it the day after. That never happened and after a week of not getting around to brewing it I went to dump the wort and I found this insane gnarly looking thing. I think it is partly lacto due to the cheesy rotten milk smell coming from it. Not sure why it's blue,(cool though) and what those eggshell looking like things are.

Anyone have any ideas? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392405888.683114.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392405959.039283.jpg

Definitely an infection but not really from a batch of beer. This is the 2nd runnings I kept and planned on brewing after an extremely long day brewing a barley wine. So I decided to brew it the day after. That never happened and after a week of not getting around to brewing it I went to dump the wort and I found this insane gnarly looking thing. I think it is partly lacto due to the cheesy rotten milk smell coming from it. Not sure why it's blue,(cool though) and what those eggshell looking like things are.

Anyone have any ideas?View attachment 179334View attachment 179335

Burn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone have any ideas?View attachment 179334View attachment 179335

i've seen that before from an intentional inoculation of mouth bugs into wort.

SpittingGlass. Agree with unionrdr's point about headspace. Definitely too much for a secondary, and the reason one should never use buckets as bright tanks. While in active primary fermentation, your beer baby is spitting out enough CO2 to drive out whatever is in the headspace, but when it's done, it's done. You moved to a new tank with too much headspace, meaning that space was full of oxygen and whatever dust/bugs/wild yeast were floating in the air at the time... and it settled onto the beer.

Either that, or the sanitation of your bright tank wasn't sufficient.

I don't agree with his point about time though (unless he meant a combination of the two factors). 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 months shouldn't matter as long as the headspace is nil and the vessel is properly sanitized.

Yeah, learned my lesson. I'll purge with CO2 next time I secondary.

I'm keeping my hopes up. I'll let it run its course and bottle and maybe it'll turn into something wonderful.

I won second place in the specialty category with a beer that was unintentionally soured. It's funny actually because I'll be chasing that mess us for years. I loved it but probably won't be able to repeat it.

Sent from Under MORE FREAKIN SNOW.

Is this also a lacto? I had way to much head space in my prime sample tasted fine should I rack into a 2nd? Gravity around 1.01 now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Home Brew mobile app

1393000124997.jpg

Lacto,ime,usually starts out like broken ice pack. Then the slimy bubbles & webbing. Could even be brett. Def looks like the start of something.

Mouth bugs?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

whatever lacto, pedio (to name just 2) bugs that are living in our mouths. i've sipped on a sample of fresh wort at the end of a brew day and left the cup in the garage, the top of the wort forms those ugly blue/green rafts withing a few days.

Here's a possible infection from a witbier. I fermented half with ale yeast, the other half with wine yeast and blended. The photo is from the blend. I let it sit after blending for eight days to make sure everything was stable. The taste and gravity are the same as when I blended. Any thoughts? I already bottled but I want to make sure it's not an infection. If it is I need to bleach my equipment.

infection.JPG

Here's a possible infection from a witbier. I fermented half with ale yeast, the other half with wine yeast and blended. The photo is from the blend. I let it sit after blending for eight days to make sure everything was stable. The taste and gravity are the same as when I blended. Any thoughts? I already bottled but I want to make sure it's not an infection. If it is I need to bleach my equipment.

infected.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393713089.649628.jpg

Infected? Maybe smelled a little sour but I that might have been the orange peel I used. I think it's alright but would like some reassurance.

View attachment 183006

Infected? Maybe smelled a little sour but I that might have been the orange peel I used. I think it's alright but would like some reassurance.

Not infected. Looks like the end of fermentation. If it develops a film and has bubbles that stay it's infected. Right now it looks fine. Just be careful and sanitize everything that makes contact with the beer.

Cheers!

Sent from Patty's pub while playing CharDee MacDennis.

Though hole of vittles vault...first time using it guinness clone....rack underneath it and bottle?

Sent from my two thumbs

Though hole of vittles vault...first time using it guinness clone....rack underneath it and bottle?

Not sure what that is, but taste, make sure SG is stable. If all is good you could bottle. I'd drink it sooner rather than later, as the infection could continue in the bottles. Risks range from off flavors down the road to bottle bombs if the beer continues to attenuate.

If you like sours, option 2 would be to let it ride or pitch some add'l bugs, either commercial or dregs from a sour beer that has viable bugs in it.

Any hope for this? Took a sample before opening lid and the sample tasted fine. It's at 1.010 so maybe bottle from under this beast?ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394464239.342342.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394464269.655685.jpg

yeah, looks like floating hop material (did you dry hop??)
or just floating krausen remains/trub whatnot

i think it should be fine

Thanks for the replies.
I opened it today to dry hop. It's day 7, and airlock activity finished 3 days ago, so I presumed it was safe to dry hop. I've never seen that before though. Of course i've had floating patches of yeast before, but never a big thick layer like that.

It's a Mandarina Bavaria single hop pale ale, and I used whole hops, not pellets for the first time.

The sample I took from the tap of the bucket had the normal amount of yeast, which quickly sank to the bottom of the tube.

are you fermenting in a bottling bucket?

and yeah.. ive seen this after 7 days in for sure. still settling out i bet.

Nope, fermenting in the normal primary bucket.
Thanks for the assurance. Was quite a shock when I opened it up!

:)

Ugly! But I guess if it smells / tastes ok then it's just a random, hideous fermentation... Touches wood :)

So I brewed this batch of beer about a year. Lost my notes and I can't even remember what it is. I left it at my friends house after moving out. He put it under a shelf but removed the air lock to make it fit under there. I went over there yesterday and opened it up. The white crap was about a 1/2" thick. It smells very very sour. I don't know what to do at this point. I wish I would have taken a picture of it there. Help please. I want to try it but I don't if I'll get sick... thanks in advance

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

1394591127536.jpg

1394591142676.jpg

Back