Possibly Overcarbed sparkling wine?? Help needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Botanist~

Reaction score
Hey all I hope you are all doing well.

I recently got a cornelius setup, and decided that I would carb some sparkling wine first.

I did some reading, and since I didn't have a fridge at that point I set the co2to 4 volumes. I have since got a t-stat controlled freezer set at 45, and allowed the wine to chill overnight with the gas on.

I then turned down the regulator to 10lbs dispensing pressure, and hooked up a picnic tap.

I also burped the keg(w/gas shut off) to releive the excess pressure, and then turned the gas back on before dispensing.

When I dispense I got a huge head, and by the time it goes down, the wine is practically flat :(. It ain't bubbly unless it bubbles, right? I even chilled the glass on a second attempt and got a slightly better result, but not by much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B

I do the force carb technique with my beer. Hook your tank up at 32psi to your keg. While your c02 is attached shake your keg you, will hear more and more co2 going into the liquid/keg. Shake with co2 on for about 3-5 minutes. Then let it sit for several minutes with c02 off. Burp the keg and reattach co2 with serving pressure. This is how i do it and it works well.

It sounds like your wine is undercarbed, but it's foaming which makes me think your lines are too short. How long are your serving lines? I use 8 feet of line at 12 psi at 40 degrees.

Hey tdavisii and yooperbrew, thanks for stopping in.

I did agitate and "roll" the keg for a few minutes after turning on the gas, and allowed it to sit for a week w/the gas on, fwiw.

I beleive my lines are 3-4ft, and my tstat is set on 45.

Should I get longer dispensing lines? I just bought the prefab picnic tap at the local HBS...

Thanks

B

Back