Possibly a stupid question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
Can you re-use corks?

Are there certain kinds that can and certain ones that can't?

If so, how many uses can you expect to get out of a cork?

Sorry for the newbie question. Just wasn't sure how much damage a corkscrew actually does to a cork.

Thanks for the replies.

i believe corks are for single use only
the plastic champagne type could probably be re-used since no corkscrew is used to remove them

Right- corks (even synthetics) are single use only. Not just because the corkscrew tears them up (it does) but because it has to be new to be compressible to get it in the bottle in the first place. Even older new corks get hard and can't be used.

Lorena

Since we're on the subject of corks, what do I need to do with them prior actually shoving them in with a corker? I'll be bottling up my Belgian into champagne bottles and wiring them shut in a month or so.

dont' know if its right or wrong but i dip mine (corks that is) in star san for a minute before corking

rod said:
dont' know if its right or wrong but i dip mine (corks that is) in star san for a minute before corking

That's good to know that you are a cork dipper rather than a cork soaker. :cross:

lorenae said:
Right- corks (even synthetics) are single use only. Not just because the corkscrew tears them up (it does) but because it has to be new to be compressible to get it in the bottle in the first place. Even older new corks get hard and can't be used.

Lorena
Good information. I always thought it was because of the damage done by the cork screw.

Is it possible to just hammer a cork in rather than use a corker (while we're on the subject of corks).

mew said:
Is it possible to just hammer a cork in rather than use a corker (while we're on the subject of corks).

Probably not.

The corker does more than just push the cork in. The corks are a little bigger than the mouth of the bottle, so the main thing a corker does for you is compress the cork so that it will go in with out tearing to shreds.

Back