Possibly a stupid question about line length for gas (and beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michele Craft

Reaction score
Hi there,

Staining and poly is done so I'm getting ready to start installing hardware. I have a 39' EVA coil from Williams Brewing and planning for 4 taps all with duotight fittings. From what I've read here, seems like 5.5 - 7' is the preferred beer line length depending on serving temp (I'm figuring 36 - 38F) and pressures (we will have about a 25" rise, maybe less, from top of keg up into black iron pipe taps).

But on the gas side, there's no requirement for longer than needed to connect point a to point b right? Gas just goes based on regulator pressure? Figuring I should be able to do this with just the one coil but wanted to double check.

thanks!

Correct, there are no minimum length requirements on gas lines.

fwiw, assuming that roll is the 4mm ID version tubing, I would start out on the longer side and see how the pours go.
You can always shorten the lines later if the pours are too slow :)
I am running 6.5 foot lines (with flow meters at the keg ends) at 11 psi and get consistently great pours...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have 1 ft of 3/16" line for every psi on the regulator, with a very short rise. So, since my temp is at 40F, I have 12 psi on the regulator with 12' lines to my tap.

Remember that the only downside to a longer line is it might take an extra second or two to pour a pint; the downside to a too-short line is a foamy mess.

Thanks for the info. And yes, 4mm EVA. I'll probably do my gas lines first and then split the remainder (if it's close to 30' left I expect it to me) 4 ways and start there. Like you guys said, can always go shorter.

Latest posts

Back