Possible weldless Greenmonti keggle fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Just had an idea kicking around in my head for the last week or so.
What I was thinking is if you do a keggle fitting like Greenmonti does by pulling it through from the inside to get a nice tight fitting (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keg-tool-152003/ seems the pictures are gone though) has anyone tried just leaving it like that?
I know the casting on the full/half coupling are pretty rough but I thought that due to it being pulled through it would hopefully be a pretty tight fit.
When I get a keggle I would like to weld my couplings on like greenmonti so I would try it then but it is going to be ages till that happens and wanted to put the idea out there.
So my favour is to ask anyone who is planning on pulling the coupling trough before welding it like greenmonti could you do a test boil with no weld to see if it is water tight?

Probably not, because for one the two metal surfaces will expand at different rates when heated. Why not try soldering it, there is a nice thread about it, especially the way nostalgia does it with his keg tool.

Probably not, because for one the two metal surfaces will expand at different rates when heated.

Are you sure about this? Stainless should expand same amount, or are you actually meany the thinner wall keg shell will expand the same amount but quicker?

Even if you achieved a seal, I would never trust the friction fit of a coupling w/ a hot kettle of wort. Soldering should be easy compared to the work of pulling the fitting.

Even if you achieved a seal, I would never trust the friction fit of a coupling w/ a hot kettle of wort. Soldering should be easy compared to the work of pulling the fitting.

Yeah, especially the way nostalgia does it by just heating a ring of solder that is sitting in the gap.

And because of that..... never mind the question :mug:

Soldering this kind of joint is very easy.

I can also tell you that it is not waterproof when it has just been pulled through. I can put some liquid flux on the inside and it will leak through to the other side before heat ever hits it. Just solder it, it takes almost no time or effort.

Latest posts

Back