Possible to get an O.G. this high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atromic

Reaction score
I made a batch of Ed's House Pale today as my first PM, the recipe is as follows:

5 lbs DME
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lbs Caramel 10L

I ended up with an O.G. of 1.059 when beersmith predicted an O.G. of 1.052 at 75% brewhouse efficiency. I made sure I topped off to 5.5 gal, stirred vigorously for over 10 minutes, and I have previously checked my hydrometer (read 1.00 in 60 deg water). I took several readings in the bucket and all showed 1.059.

In the past my measured O.G. has been higher than that predicted by beersmith... Is this the norm? 1.059 is within the range listed on brew masters warehouse, but I'm a little surprised at my efficiency since my temps were all over the place.

I am a complete noob, but have done a little research about OGs. I believe if they are within the range for the beer, you are good to go. I think there are multiple factors effecting the OG reading and normally you can give/take a few pts.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

100% efficiency would net 1.056. So you're at about 113% efficiency. Of course it might be possible that some measurement somewhere is off. Volume, gravity, grain weight, temp. It is also possible that the mixture was layered and you got a denser portion of the wort.

I'm thinking that bmw must have thrown me some extra grain or dme, I'm certain everything else is dead on

Back