Possible stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofynewfie

Reaction score
2.25lb generic honey
1lb buckwheat
Water to 1 gallon
Lavlin k1v-116

Sg 1.118
Aerated well and added 1/2 tsp of nutrient. Followed schedule for staggered nutrient addition. Fermented @63 degrees
Now 3 weeks later and gravity has been @ 1.040 for 3 days. Have not added any nutrient for about 10 days. If I add more nutrient do you think fermentation will start up again?

Try to warm to 68F...but that being said mead is well known for making you think it stalled. Have experienced many which took months to drop those last 20-30 points. One even took six months. Your yeast is a good one. Next time when starting with a gravity like that you can stress them out so you may consider a staggered honey addition as well. Just give it some time.

I plan on bulk aging for a year, do you think there is any reason to rack it off the lees or can I just forget about it for a year since it may still ferment a few more months?

I plan on bulk aging for a year, do you think there is any reason to rack it off the lees or can I just forget about it for a year since it may still ferment a few more months?
No. Don't rack it off the lees. You'd lose most of the yeast colony.

You could check the pH as meads, particularly traditionals, have little pH buffering capacity so if you found that its 3.0 or lower then you'd have to be thinking about something (potassium carbonate) to raise it.

Apart from that, I'd carry on as saramc suugests....

Back