Possible problems with BIAB mash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basspaleale

Reaction score
I'm a long time brewer but somewhat new to my EBIAB recirculating system. I brewed my first Kolsch a couple of days ago and was pretty happy with the results. I pretty much hit all the numbers according to BeerSmith. My only problem (if it is a problem??) is after I drained my bag and prepared for my boil I notice a very thick chocolate colored foam on top. It did disperse once my wort started to boil. In addition I had a lot more trub in the bottom of my BK than I have ever had. Has anyone else ever experienced this or does anyone know what I may have done wrong? BTW the fermentation is going great.

Did you do a finer crush than normal for thr BIAB? May explain the increased amount of trub. Not sure about foam, but wouldn't worry about it.

I did a double grind on my grain hoping to get a better yield so maybe that was it. Thanks, I'm taking your advise. I'm not going to worry about it.

Different biab bags have different size mesh. The cheap 29 by 29 inch you can buy on any home brew site have much bigger mesh holes than the one I got from the custom biab guy on here ( I forgot his name). The custom takes longer to drain, but reduces the fine trub that would slip by the larger mesh bag.

Even with a high quality voile bag, you'll almost certainly get more trub than with a typical 3V system with vorlauf. I have never recirculated during mash, but in essence you're eliminating the vorlauf with BIAB, hence more trub. Obviously, the finer crush contributes as well. I usually crush barley at 0.035-0.040 and get excellent efficiency (but do usually do a 90 minute mash). I end up with a lot of trub in the fermenter by conventional standards, but my final beer is crystal clear.

I notice a very thick chocolate colored foam on top. It did disperse once my wort started to boil. In addition I had a lot more trub in the bottom of my BK than I have ever had. Has anyone else ever experienced this or does anyone know what I may have done wrong? BTW the fermentation is going great.

Yesterday I brewed a SRM 4, very light colored beer using Pilsner malt, Torrified Wheat and Crystal 20L. The hot break that formed was a darker, chocolate color too. Adding WhirlFloc to the boil, doing a whirlpool and a 20 minute hop stand after flameout helped to collect the trub in a neat pile at the center of the kettle bottom. Its hard to say whether or not you did anything wrong.

I have noticed the same thing with a more visible sludge layer. I think it is normal.

A little more trub is the trade off with BIAB. I have found the time and clean up savings are totally worth it. I know i couldn't brew as much if the brew days were 6 hours long. I dont double grind my grains and my rollers are set at a credit card thickness and im normally around 70% efficient. One other thing i have been doing for a couple years now is the no-chill containers. Saves more time and water. Brew,dump to container and pitch the next day. Never had any infection or off flavors as a result.

I've been brewing with the High Gravity eBIAB system. I notice the darker dust like foam and have foam during the mash due to the sprayer head on the lid. I was concerned about possible issues with head retention but all my beers with the system have come out great. Make sure you're using a good bag and calculate for the extra trub so you can leave it in the kettle.

I've been brewing with the High Gravity eBIAB system. I notice the darker dust like foam and have foam during the mash due to the sprayer head on the lid. I was concerned about possible issues with head retention but all my beers with the system have come out great. Make sure you're using a good bag and calculate for the extra trub so you can leave it in the kettle.

How is the clean up with this system? How do you clean the pump? Seems like a very well designed system and you cant beat that price!

Sorry, off topic. In my opinion, you can beat the price, and get a better build. Just my opinion though.

http://brausupply.com/collections/b...ibrau-5g-complete-countertop-biab-brew-system

I looked at a lot of the eBIAB systems and did come across the Unibrau. I chose the HG system because they have a 120V option which makes it easy for me to brew pretty much anywhere, I only plan on making 5g batches and wanted a better pump for a whirlpool chiller (also an option on the Unibrau at an extra $100 or so). I was concerned about boil vigor and the time it would take to get to temp with a 120V system but after insulating the kettle it has been working great for me.

I modified the HG system by removing the quick disconnects and using 1/2" barbs since whirlpool hop pellets would sometimes clog the system, I insulated the kettle for a better boil and temp. ramp time and put he whole thing on a modified Harbor Freight cart (an idea I got from another member).

As far as cleaning, super easy. Fill carboy, dump trub into sink, rinse and fill with 3 gallons of hot water, add PBW, recirculate 30 mins (the Rainbird sprinkler head provides contact with all surfaces), scrub any gunk with a pad and clean BoilCoil, rinse with water then dry. Every two or three brew days I will break everything down and clean then assemble. Hope that helps!

e4pIoUGWprf6DVkJ-WkFrRAPJ6YLRIteVcY5goJgStPvpiqm3s80RbGtyJc2FkoyhCpElgED7nEyotQS1q6uGcEaL3VF9FGlZoD_UEFzI65i3uSrzsEbNK1uHLsF39eGCV4qnSQEIeSd9tn9-G-jXkLtkj_dbpIXPefZaKHeexaleag_ymy2gYpdyaswLC6GtLSNKS52rVxrgfNFEV6_YJfWI-3H3Sy5RjRSdepwJu_8zrwpf6e9BHRWbYHIxjcgPeBtObznqLWxjktiECYl9wqtY8arYpNDcIEf13CayiktQ8qlwKGaUwjgIjFlT_JHg5wBZ6_0VVDp9gKq2K8vkhmF7fVOLL0bdgSCOPsctVE8ciJYt7Wm-ICF0e_db8Au5or9df3PBjxDuRij8SmBn9ioLFxhdsERMvENs162Js1b-ALO29SQxMa7qF4CEvQhyLHFsae_a4-8d0669NKGS2qz3aYN1naryNCOpM5Dkrrn1bW2eWmQNm5KQ8XctpbCQDoasDPIyK_WoK70e_HUEYjdL45Dd1qZefK9llDFXemlcwX1G4iZgx-pDOtU11J9Sci764X2Dt_aKS13P5Blq3E0gVS8NyoZz6YM0L_NjHKb8y29=w480-h640-no

Yesterday I brewed a SRM 4, very light colored beer using Pilsner malt, Torrified Wheat and Crystal 20L. The hot break that formed was a darker, chocolate color too. Adding WhirlFloc to the boil, doing a whirlpool and a 20 minute hop stand after flameout helped to collect the trub in a neat pile at the center of the kettle bottom. Its hard to say whether or not you did anything wrong.

I'm not sure what SRM 4 is but I usually only brew Pilsners using 98.7% Belgian Pilsner and 1.3% Acid malt. As I said I've never seen this dark foam our the larger than normal amount of trub. The only difference with this brew was the addition of Vienna malt and a finer grind on the grain, so I'm going to say it was the grind but no worries, the trub stayed in the BK and the ferment is going great. Thanks for your input. Cheers !!
I just realized you were referring to the color (SRM 4), with all the new brews out there I thought it was the name of the beer you were brewing :D

I modified the HG system by removing the quick disconnects and using 1/2" barbs since whirlpool hop pellets would sometimes clog the system, I insulated the kettle for a better boil and temp. ramp time and put he whole thing on a modified Harbor Freight cart (an idea I got from another member).
e4pIoUGWprf6DVkJ-WkFrRAPJ6YLRIteVcY5goJgStPvpiqm3s80RbGtyJc2FkoyhCpElgED7nEyotQS1q6uGcEaL3VF9FGlZoD_UEFzI65i3uSrzsEbNK1uHLsF39eGCV4qnSQEIeSd9tn9-G-jXkLtkj_dbpIXPefZaKHeexaleag_ymy2gYpdyaswLC6GtLSNKS52rVxrgfNFEV6_YJfWI-3H3Sy5RjRSdepwJu_8zrwpf6e9BHRWbYHIxjcgPeBtObznqLWxjktiECYl9wqtY8arYpNDcIEf13CayiktQ8qlwKGaUwjgIjFlT_JHg5wBZ6_0VVDp9gKq2K8vkhmF7fVOLL0bdgSCOPsctVE8ciJYt7Wm-ICF0e_db8Au5or9df3PBjxDuRij8SmBn9ioLFxhdsERMvENs162Js1b-ALO29SQxMa7qF4CEvQhyLHFsae_a4-8d0669NKGS2qz3aYN1naryNCOpM5Dkrrn1bW2eWmQNm5KQ8XctpbCQDoasDPIyK_WoK70e_HUEYjdL45Dd1qZefK9llDFXemlcwX1G4iZgx-pDOtU11J9Sci764X2Dt_aKS13P5Blq3E0gVS8NyoZz6YM0L_NjHKb8y29=w480-h640-no

Really curious to see your cart but the image is broken...

Back